031

july 13th, 2020
3:14 pm

THE NEXT FEW DAYS MOVED quickly after that

The two had spent the past week just getting to know each other and Ayoluwa couldn't be more surprised at what she was finding out about Joshua.

All this time, she thought that he was an asshole while, in truth, he was this big softie who liked to be held, sung to and Toy Story.

The second one, specifically.

Ayoluwa sat at the piano alone in the basement while Joshua was still eating a late lunch in the kitchen.

Her legs were folded underneath her on the hard wood while all of her locs were separated into two humongous space buns on either side.

Her fingers moved skillfully and fast across the white and black keys, inducing slow and sorrowful notes that strikes through the air.

The melody Ayoluwa was creating transitioned to a familiar tune and the girl opened her mouth and sang.

"Moon River, wider than a mile, I'm crossing you in style. Dream maker, you heart breaker, wherever you're going, I'm going that way." Ayoluwa sung lowly.

"Two drifters, off to see the world, there's such a lot of world to see. We're all chasing after all the same, chasing after our ends." She continued, letting a vocal run loose.

"Life's just around the bend, my friend. Moon River and-." Ayoluwa stopped at the flash of light in the dim room.

Joshua was recording her on his phone, coming closer and closer from the staircase.

"Josh," Ayoluwa groaned, "What are you doing?"

"Just keep going." Joshua encouraged.

Ayoluwa shook her head as her fingers returned to the piano, "The song was over anyway. Moon River is a short song."

"Sing something else then." Joshua said, still recording on his phone.

Ayoluwa glanced at the phone, back at Joshua then straightened up at the piano bench, "Okay."

Ayoluwa started to play the intro of Put That On Everything by Brandy, "If you're looking to find, a love that will stand till the end of time. Baby, relax your mind my love is here, I'll do everything I swear, I'd take the pain and the hurt, you won't know it's there. Your wants would be nothing, I put that on everything."

"Isn't this the song that you always hum?" Joshua joined her at the piano bench, his phone now in his pocket.

"Yeah, my mom used to sing that song with me all the time." Ayoluwa continued to play the melody of the song, "I can't believe that you noticed that."

Joshua snorted, "Yeah, it used to annoy the absolute hell out of me. Like, 'Why the fuck is she humming so loud? Shut up!'"

Ayoluwa rolled her eyes as the notes continued to float through the air, "Do you want a list of all the shit you did that annoyed me? Because, and trust me, the shit is long as fuck."

Joshua narrowed his eyes at her statement, "That's such a trap. I'm good on that. Can I play?"

Ayoluwa lifted her hands from the piano as Joshua started to play the melody of Pink + White by Frank Ocean.

"I love this song. I love Frank Ocean so much." Ayoluwa sighed at the melody.

"I met him once." Joshua said after a comfortable silence.

Ayoluwa sucked her teeth in disbelief, "No, you didn't. Don't lie to me."

"I'm not. I met him through Quavo." Joshua replied.

"You don't know Quavo, either! Stop lying." Ayoluwa chuckled, "There's literally no need to."

"Check my Instagram," Joshua said then continued to play the almost heartbreaking melody.

Ayoluwa gripped her phone from on top of the piano and went to Joshua's Instagram page.

Sure enough, there was a slightly blurry picture of Joshua and Caleb with all three members of Migos, backstage somewhere, all five wearing black and sunglasses.

"What the fuck?" Ayoluwa laughed.

"You want me to see if I can get you to meet them? I could send them the video." Joshua suggested.

"No, don't do that." Ayoluwa immediately replied in a stern tone, "Don't send anyone that video. Not Quavo, not Frank Ocean, not Shareef, no one, okay?"

"Why? You could probably get signed and boom, there's your ticket out of here."

Joshua grinned widely at her like he was actually saying something productive or helpful.

Oh, he has no idea how much I can't leave Los Angeles right now.

"Can't do that." Ayoluwa shook her head then replied in a brisk tone.

"Why? You would be so successful." Joshua pointed out.

"Maybe but... I can't leave Lauryn with Imani. This break here, is already way too long. I should probably call her now." Ayoluwa started to rise from the piano bench but Joshua lightly gripped her arm.

"Chill. Come on," Joshua motioned with his head for her to rejoin him, "I'm sure your grandma has her right now."

Ayoluwa made a face but sat down again, "What other songs do you know?"

"By Frank Ocean or in general?"

Ayoluwa shrugged, "In general."

Joshua contemplated then grew into a goofy smile before starting to play chopsticks on the piano.

Ayoluwa shook her head then giggled, "You play way too much."

Joshua smirked at her, "You like it though."

Ayoluwa shifted a little, "Do I? Do I really though?"

Joshua rolled his eyes and Ayoluwa playfully elbowed him, "I'm kidding, I'm kidding."

"Yeah," Joshua stopped playing abruptly, "Can you sing to me?"

Like clockwork.

Ayoluwa lifted her hands to the piano once more to break into a rendition of India.Arie's River Rise.

NOTE FROM KY
Thank you for getting OTG to 23k!
This love lowkey came out of nowhere but I fuck with it lmao
vote & comment, porfa!