011

june 4th, 2020
5:02 pm

THIS BUILDING IS EXTREMELY STUFFY

Ayoluwa followed Quincy through the tall professional building located in downtown L.A.

The cubicle was an ugly beige color and the pathways between them were thin.

"How long do I have again?" Ayoluwa quickened her pace to better trail the lanky boy.

"Thirty minutes." Quincy replied in a curt tone as he led her to the end of a hall to a closed door with the name 'Alicia Turner ESQ.' engraved.

"Mom?" Quincy lightly tapped his fingers on the door.

"Come in." An aged feminine voice called out.

Alicia Turner was an extremely impressive woman and it showed by the several diplomas and achievements framed on the wall.

Alicia stood and dusted off her power suit before extending her hand towards Ayoluwa.

"Thank you so much for squeezing me in again. I know you're a very busy woman." Ayoluwa gave the woman a firm handshake.

"It's not a problem. What can I do for you today?" Alicia sat and then gestured for the two to settle in the chairs in front of her desk.

"I decided to go forward with pursuing custody." Ayoluwa stated.

Alicia nodded as she rose and opened a filing cabinet near the right side of her desk, "What's the basis of this custody case?"

"Um... Being a deadbeat parent?" Ayoluwa tried.

"No abuse? Physical, mental, emotional?" Alicia replied.

"I mean... Not having your parents around has to have some emotional or mental trauma, right?" Ayoluwa said, as she rubbed one braided up loc between her fingers.

Alicia pursed her lips and sat back down with a couple of papers, "So here's the thing first and foremost, you can't pursue custody since you aren't a biological parent of the child. You can however, try for guardianship."

"What's the difference?" Ayoluwa asked.

"Custody is for parents, guardianship is for everyone else." Alicia explained, folding her hands.

"So pursuing guardianship... Will that take away all of the parents' parental rights?" Ayoluwa inquired.

Alicia sighed, "Ayo, I like you. You and my son have been friends for a long time. I like Camille and Lauryn is a sweetheart. So," Alicia paused.