006

may 15th, 2020
9:18 pm

THE SOUNDS OF NBA 2K echoed throughout Joshua's room along with various voices yelling at the screen

Sitting on Joshua's bed was Joshua and Shareef while Dior and Caleb, home for the weekend, were on his bean bag chairs to the side of the room.

"Bruh, you are ass at this!" Caleb directed his words towards Dior.

"Shut the fuck up! Shareef missed two layups and I'm ass?" Dior exclaimed back.

"Do not... Bring me into your shit." Shareef's hands moved fast on his controller.

Joshua remained quiet, his eyes fixed on the screen.

His player stole the ball from Dior's player during a pass then lead the fast break and dunked it in for a game winning shot.

"Damn it!" Dior threw his controller down on the bean bag then stood up.

"You are a big ass baby." Shareef laughed.

"Imani, you can't miss this!" Ayoluwa's voice sounded suddenly through Joshua's open window.

Her window must be open too.

Joshua rolled his eyes and rose from his bed.

"I don't see why not." Imani, Ayoluwa's older sister replied in a dry tone.

"It's Lauryn's birthday party. She wants you there, she told me herself. All you and Jamal have to do is make time for-." Ayoluwa's voice sounded high and in anguish.

Joshua was about to close the window when Shareef put his hand up, making Joshua pause.

"Well I don't want to make time for that. Jamal and I are going to Vegas. We've already made the plans. Just tell her to get over it." Imani sounded nonchalant.

"Please, Imani. Please don't miss another one of her birthdays." Ayoluwa replied in a tired tone.

"God, Ayo. Don't you ever get tired of trying to talk me into the same shit, fassyhole?" Imani scoffed, her accent becoming exaggerated.

It was silent for a moment in both rooms as Ayoluwa took a pause and the four boys continued to eavesdrop.

"Fine. But one day you're gonna try and be there for her and you're gonna realize that it's too late to get to know her." Ayoluwa snapped.