026

july 3rd, 2020
10:48 am

THE NEXT MORNING, Joshua woke up alone

And he didn't like how odd and conflicted it made him feel.

Downstairs, he could hear a song by The Spinners playing, the melody slower than he was used to and Ayoluwa was singing along.

Joshua continued to lay there, staring at the ceiling fan while the music continued to pump throughout the house.

Cuddling with Ayoluwa last night had been simultaneously the weirdest and the most comforting thing to happen to him lately.

Comforting because she was warm and soft and her hair was soft and her skin smelled deeply of flowers and cinnamon.

But weird because it was Ayoluwa.

Joshua could've sworn that he hated this girl but now his feelings were slowly becoming complicated.

He needed to smoke.

Joshua sprung up from the bed and after thoroughly brushing his teeth, he headed down the stairs.

The song had changed and Ayoluwa had dropped her voice an octave to match the notes, "One look at you, and my heart knew you were the one for me. All pain has gone, new love was born when you walked in my life,"

Joshua had left his duffel bag downstairs and along the side was a couple of already rolled blunts.

He had smoked the first one that first day here and hadn't felt the need to spark up.

Until now.

Joshua placed the blunt in his mouth then headed to the kitchen where Ayoluwa was still singing and lightly two stepping as she put cut up pieces of fruit in a blender.

He pilfered through kitchen drawers until he found a green Bic lighter.

Joshua flicked the light and was about to press the flame against the tip of the blunt when Ayoluwa turned to face him, "Morning."

The blender stopped, the liquid inside a purplish blue and Ayoluwa poured it into a glass, "Good morning. Do you want...?"

"No thanks, Palmer," Joshua paused again, the flame only an inch or two away from the blunt, "Do you want a puff?"

Ayoluwa quickly shook her head, "It fucks up your voice. Would it... Would you mind smoking that outside? Just so the house doesn't smell like weed all day?"