Episode 37: (Keefe's POV)

Start from the beginning

Keefe tamped down his anger. "They've broken up at least twice, now. Why doesn't he give up?"

"Would you?" Biana pointed out. "Or would you let her go on her merry way, most likely ending up with Fitz again?"

Another hard question.

On one hand, it was Sophie's choice, and whatever she wanted, he would respect.

On the other hand... didn't he owe it to her to keep her options open? Maybe it was selfish, but she needed to know.

"No," Keefe had to admit. Maybe it was selfish of him. Maybe it was stubborn. But- "I wouldn't give up on her unless she made it absolutely for sure clear that she had no feelings for me. But the thing is... I think she still likes Fitz."

Biana mmmed and nodded. "I think so too."

They sat in silence for a few seconds.

A thought occurred to Keefe.

"Wait, I thought you were on Team Fitzphie." He eyed her suspiciously.

"Oh, I am," Biana smiled. "But I'm also on Team Keephie. I'm on Team-Sophie-gets-her-head-out-of-the-clouds-and-chooses-someone-already."

Keefe nodded. "I think everyone's on that team. Except for Fitz."

Biana snorted. "I don't think Fitz counts. Hey, you should talk to him, by the way."

"Right, cause that turned out amazing last time."

"No, seriously. You guys are best friends."

"Were best friends," Keefe corrected her. "Not anymore."

"Seriously? Over what, a girl you both have a crush on? That's the stupidest thing I've ever heard." Biana crossed her arms, raising an eyebrow. "You guys have both liked Sophie forever, why now all of a sudden you break off?"

"Things are different now, and you know it," Keefe reminded her. "We... aren't the same people as we were when we were eleven."

"So? Neither is Sophie. Neither am I. Neither is Dex. But we all still manage to be friends," Biana pointed out. "And you guys were super close. What changed? And don't you dare say Sophie. Because a girl shouldn't cause that."

"But she did," Keefe whispered. "Nothing started to change until we realized we both liked her... and we still stayed friends until they got together."

"Then I think you need to ask yourself exactly how fragile your friendship had to be for it to fall apart like that."

Keefe hesitated. He'd never really... thought of that before. His and Fitz's friendship hadn't exactly been... deep. It had centered around teasing, laughing, fun. Frivolity, pranks, sports... basically all they did together. They never really sat down and... talked. Fitz had only a vague idea of what happened to Keefe with his parents, and Keefe didn't fully understand everything happening in his supposed friend's life. Maybe that was the reason their friendship had broken so easily. It hadn't exactly been meaningful, or deep.

"So?" Biana waited. "Are you going to make up with him? You know, your lifelong friend?"

"I wouldn't say lifelong," Keefe avoided the question automatically. "It's only been, what, seven years?"

"That's almost your entire life. Now answer me. Are you? Or are you gonna let jealousy and a girl break up the Dynamite Duo?"

"I rather like that name," Keefe mused. "Can I trademark that?"

"KEEFE!"

"Fine. I want to. But. I don't think Fitz does. He seems to hate me now, if you hadn't noticed all the evil glares of doom."