Episode 23: (Sophie's POV)

Before:

"Like I said, Ruewen. Anytime. Anytime." Keefe smiled gently. And he meant it. If she woke him up in the middle of the night, he would stop sleeping and help her.

Before he knew what was happening, Sophie leaned in and brushed her lips against his cheek with a feather-light touch. Keefe sat, stunned, as Sophie held her crystal up to the light and disappeared.

He reached up to touch the place her lips had met his cheek. There was no sign of the kiss but his memory, and he replayed the moment over and over in his head, the spark of hope rekindling itself in his heart.

Sophie leaped to the Healing Center first thing the next morning.

The night before, Edaline had run up to her and said three words.

"Marella is awake."

Linh was probably already there, talking to Marella, but Sophie needed to make sure she was okay.

She knew her worries were irrational, and Marella wasn't even one of her close friends, but Sophie couldn't help worrying. She knew how overwhelming manifesting a new ability was- after all, she'd done it twice- and even though her abilities didn't cause the level of pain and loss of control Marella's had, Sophie wanted to help.

She ran into the Healing Center out of breath, searching the room for the blond elf. Marella was sitting on a cot with her eyes squeezed shut, sweat trickling down her brow. Linh sat close, holding her hand. She was whispering soft words under her breath.

Sophie slowed and stopped. Maybe she shouldn't interrupt this. Then she spotted Tam lurking in the corner, his eyes fixed in his sister. This wasn't a private moment... was it?

Tam spotted her, and his shadow crept over to cover hers.

"I wouldn't interrupt them," he shadow-whispered, sending a chill down Sophie's spine. "Linh's trying to help Marella control her ability. If you disturb them, Marella could lose control."

So should I go? she transmitted back.

"No, just wait until they're done. Which should be soon..." Tam returned to his vigil, staring at Linh from the corner.

Sophie waited. And waited. And waited.

She had finally decided to leave when Marella opened her eyes. The poor girl was trembling with exhaustion, beads of sweat rolling down her face. She reached for the towel beside her bed to wipe off her face. When she lifted her head again, she spotted Sophie.

Linh saw her eyes widen and turned. When she saw Sophie, she smiled. "Hey! How are you?"

Sophie almost snorted. Linh is sitting next to someone who manifested a new ability and is struggling to control it, and she asks how Sophie's doing.

Typical.

"Fine, you?" she responded. "Marella? How are you doing?"

"I'm fine," Linh told her cheerfully.

Marella shrugged. "Good as I can be, I guess."

Sophie creased her brow in sympathy. "I'm sorry."

"Why? This isn't your fault." Marella rolled her eyes. "People say sorry when they didn't cause the problem because they feel pity for me. Did you make me manifest? No. So you just feel sorry for me. I swear, if someone tells me they're sorry again..." she let the words trail off, and Sophie shifted uncomfortably.

She searched for the words she could think to say. "Have they named the new ability?"

Marella's fists clenched. The ground seemed to ripple under Sophie's feet, and she stumbled, almost falling.