twenty eight

---

Mark Lee

"Why don't I give you a little push?"

Seyeon paused for a while, before rolling her eyes. "Don't spout nonsense."

"You were expecting something, weren't you?" I teased, satisfied with her response. She kept quiet, but her eyes glimmered with slight consideration. She's so easy to read, I can't believe Dongyoung hasn't gotten any clue yet. Unless he's hiding something.

"Stop laughing! I'm really helpless here," she snapped, and suddenly I felt super guilty for knowing why. If you thought everyone dated at least once in their life, well, Seyeon's an exception.

I don't know about before, but she has never been more dedicated to anything but visual arts ever since I met her. She never actually pays attention to anything or anyone in general, so people really just leave her alone. That's exactly why I found her lively interaction with Dongyoung a little off-character.

"Do you at least have his number?" I asked in anticipation, but she just shook her head.

"Why would I? We're not even that close." She folded her arms and sighed, actual storm clouds forming above her head. Another thing about her, she's extremely dubious. One would not know how much motivating it took to get her to even try applying for our major, and we didn't regret it one bit.

I sighed in frustration, "What to do with both of you? You even drew a story about him, yet he didn't even notice." I glanced towards the counter. At this point in time, I'm a little mad at Dongyoung too, for being such a nutcase. How does is he still so clueless? Or worse, why hasn't he told or asked me anything yet, knowing that Seyeon and I are friends?

"I know right?" She scoffed, "I'm so pathetic, I don't even know anything about him." Oh no, I didn't intend to make her upset.

"Didn't y'all talk outside the toilet that day?" I brought up the scene that unfolded before me during Chuseok. I thought they had already grown comfortable around each other by then, guess I was wrong.

"Yeah, but nothing deep, only some recent happenings," she muttered, a little frustrated at herself. Okay, maybe that one could've been on me; if only I stayed in the toilet a little longer, they could've made more progress. A wave of guilt washed over me.

"But it does seem like you've grown a lot closer than before," I stated, and suddenly it felt like we were in a counselling session, of course with me as the counsellor. Seyeon nodded slowly, but I can see doubt crawling back into her like a giant spider.

"Ah, I don't know, why am I even talking to you about this?" She brushed away the topic hastily and started touching up her panels. I haven't seen her like this since the submission of her portfolio for university, remembering vividly how she almost backed out of her application. Out of countless projects and assignments due in the coming weeks, this is the thing that fazes her.

"You're right, let's just focus on our work." I decided to drop the topic too; I don't want to get on her nerves two weeks before the final showcase. The last time I did, she literally disregarded my whole existence for the next month, at least until our results came back and everything went back to normal.

The next hour was agonising because I couldn't concentrate at all on my project. Seyeon has already continued touching up the next panel, but I was still stuck with a blank ending. Thoughts of how to get her closer to Dongyoung infiltrated initial ideas I had for a good ending, which was flushed away immediately. I can't take it, I need to know the other side of the story or I can't function.

"I'm gonna get something to eat, do you want a refill?" I pointed at her empty cup. How did she manage to drink everything? She nodded once, still focused on her work. I got up and glided to the counter, where the suspect was attending to a customer. I waited impatiently for the guy to leave before slamming my hands onto the countertop.

"What do you want now?" Dongyoung asked, not even looking at me as he placed the 5 000 won note neatly into the cash register.

"Tell me honestly, are you hiding something from me?" I spat out, narrowing my eyes onto him, "Spill it now or you won't leave here alive." He didn't even waver.

"I guess your project has gotten to you, you look like a complete psycho now," he laughed, "What do you want? A slice of cookies and cream cake? A bagel?"

Damn it, he knows exactly what I want, I need a new plan.

"I'll take the bagel, in return of a confession." I stuck a finger right at his nose as both his eyes met in the middle. He backed away and flicked my finger to the side, moving to the desserts showcase.

"Do you not feel embarrassed when you do this?" He replied flatly and took a sugar-glazed bagel out of the tray, placing it onto a plate before shoving it to me. "Anything else?"

I was speechless. This guy is really unshakable, I need something that would strike a nerve, but I've got nothing. I snatched the plate from him and sighed, "No, just a refill for black coffee."

His face suddenly lit up in delight, although he tried to hide it immediately. Jackpot, I've found that nerve, unintentionally.

---

thought I could use a different pov this time LMAO