six

---

Kim Dongyoung

Ten and Jaehyun were chilling in the break room while I took care of the counter. No, I'm not being ostracised. I just prefer the peaceful atmosphere I get when I'm alone, especially when the cafe is nearly empty. There were still customers coming in of course, just not as much as compared to peak hours.

I was playing with my phone when the door swung opened and a tall guy walked in.

"Oh hi boss," I greeted him with a small glance, and I could see his face falling from the corner of my eye.

"Yah, that's not the right attitude," Johnny said while walking into the kitchen. Whispers started surfacing throughout the cafe with his appearance. That's what you get with a face like his. If I was a girl I would definitely be interested.

"Well, if you didn't leave us hanging yesterday it would've been different," I shrugged and put away my phone.

"I had my reasons okay," he calmly said, "and I was working on a new menu. I heard it was getting popular these days."

He slid a piece of paper to me. I squinted at his cursive writing.

New recipes

Dalgona Coffee
Dalgona Cheesecake
Dalgona Cookies

"I'll call it the Dalgona Trio special," Johnny announced proudly, with a hand on his chest. I grew a little sceptical.

"Have you actually tried these? I've heard of Dalgona Coffee but not one with cheesecake and cookies."

He gave me a disappointed look, "Of course I did, and it's definitely delicious." He did the Italian chef kiss, "Where's Jaehyun and Ten? I should teach them this recipe."

"Why not me?" I asked, genuinely shocked.

"Because you're the cashier," Johnny tapped my shoulder and smiled, then went to the back room. Pfft, so much for helping out in the kitchen when he's not around.

The door rang opened again and a girl walked in. Wait, I remember her.

"A cup of black coffee please, no sugar and no milk," she ordered rather hesitantly. I guess I must've creeped her out yesterday. Why did I say such a thing? So much for a first impression, though it was the second time seeing her. Nonetheless, it didn't hurt to try.

"You're here again," I casually brought up while keying into the cash register. It took her a while to answer.

"Yeah, I sort of enjoy the atmosphere here, plus it's near my school," she looked like she just mentally kicked herself for speaking. I don't blame her.

"Are you sure it's not for anything else?" I winced at my sudden flirtatious confidence while she just stood there puzzled. Way to blow it man.

"I'm sure," she stuttered, and a short pause followed sued. I stared at the numbers on the cash register reluctantly. Usually this process takes less than a minute, but I don't want her to go just yet.

"Look, about yesterday.." she suddenly spoke, "I'm sorry if I said too much. I tend to blabber a lot when I'm tired."

Looks like I wasn't the only one worrying about that incident.

"It's nothing, we get that a lot of times," I lied. She exhaled quickly, looking a lot more relaxed than before, so I guess saying that took things off her chest. But I shouldn't be holding her here any longer; she probably has lots of things at hand.

"Anyway, that'll be 4 700 won, and please take a seat," I gave her the receipt and watched her walk off to one of the window seats right in the corner. She settled down and immediately took out her laptop, plugging in AirPods during the process.

I walked back to the kitchen, where the three of them were busy making Dalgona Coffee. Right, I forgot about that.

"Yah, do this after work," I slapped Johnny's back with the printed order, "We have a customer waiting."

"We're busy here, you do it," Johnny replied nonchalantly.

"I thought I was the cashier," I sarcastically quoted his words, and he had no choice but to turn to me. He reached for the order paper, squinting at the fine print.

"What?" He said, surprised, "Black coffee with no milk and sugar?"

Jaehyun and Ten turned, before giving each other a look of realisation. I had to shush him before anyone else turned their heads.

"I'm both flattered and offended, this customer has a unique taste indeed," he chuckled. I rolled my eyes.

"Stop judging and make the order!" I half-whispered, looking over the counter to where the girl was seated.

"Ah fine, don't need to get so angsty," Johnny grabbed a cup off the racks, "Watch how the master does it."

He grabbed a cup off the shelf and in just a matter of seconds, he's done. He reached for the sugar, but immediately stopped himself. I've almost made the same mistake too.

"Here you go," he passed it to me, "Made by yours truly." He winked and I nearly puked.

I made my way to the corner table, hoping that I didn't keep her waiting long. And it looks like I didn't.

She had her chin rested on her palms, her hair covering the right side of her face. The sunlight ends right before her laptop, so she was mostly under the shadows of her own body. Her eyes were laid on something, but it wasn't something that was on her screen. I followed her gaze and found it to be on the seat in front of her. Ah, she's daydreaming.

I didn't want to snap her out of it since she seems to be in the zone, but her coffee was going to get cold. I knocked twice on the table, startling her straight up. That was kind of cute though.

"Your coffee, miss," I placed the cup gently on the table, and she gave me a shy nod in return. I smiled and went back, giving her a second look once I reached the counter. She was back in her thoughts again. I couldn't help but let out a soft laugh.

I have to admit, I wouldn't mind her coming here every day.

---