Chapter 30

The grasp around my arms tightens and turns me around. Peter. I'm shaking and can't completely stop it. We're at a dead end that nobody goes to. "What do you want." I say, my voice more stern then expected. "Shut up" He spits. "Where's Four to save you?" Peter asks. I try to get out of his grasp but his hands tighten. I can't show that I'm afraid. I'm terrified. I try to hit him or get away or anything. He kicks me and I fall to the ground. He pulls out a knife. "Say a word, and I'll put this to use" He says. I'm breathing so heavily I wonder how I'm still breathing. I haven't seen him much since initiation. I would only catch glimpses of him around the Compound, but he always had that cold look. "Did you think you were going to get away with this?" He asks, laughing. "With what?!" I scream. He crouches next to me and puts the knife closer to me. He whispers "Divergent". How did he know I was divergent? Who told him? Only Tobias, Tori and Jeanine know. But Jeanine can't be trusted. She could strike at any minute. "I'm surprised you survived the attack" He says. All I'm thinking is "I'm surprised they didn't check a closet" He comes in even closer. "But that won't last long" he says. I can't die. I won't. "Since when were you with Erudite?" I said. I quickly push my leg back and kick him in the chest. He drops the knife and falls back. When I try to grab it he takes it a second before and cuts my forehead. I groan and touch it. It's bleeding. He holds me against the wall. "I said shut up!" He shouts. I hear faint foot steps, so faint I can barely hear them. I have to scream. I scream and punch him and then I feel it; I feel the knife go into my side. Pain spreads through my stomach and I fall. I hear shouts and then Peter runs. Blood is leaking through my shirt. I clutch at my side and scream. At the end of the hallway I hear groans and fighting, and then a knife falling to the ground. Then I see a figure coming towards me: Tobias. Thank God. "Tris," He says. My vision is blurry from tears. He gently pulls my hands off my side and I groan. He collects me into his arms and picks me up, Then I lose conciseness.
---------------------------------------------
I wake up and open my eyes. I'm in a hospital. Christina and Will are on my right and Tobias is on my left. "Tris!" Christina shouts. "Hi," I said closing my eyed again. "Go get a doctor" Christina says. Will nods and leaves. Tobias is sleeping in the chair. "How do you feel?" Chris asks. "Like I got stabbed" I replied. I touch my forehead and theres a small bandage on it. "Don't worry about that, it's a shallow cut" She says. I nod. Will and a doctor come in. She types something on the computer next to me; this must be the Erudite hospital. "How long have I been asleep?" I asked. "A couple hours" Will says. "So Tris, we stitched the cut on your side," the doctor starts. I nod. "There's some good and bad news" She says. I take a deep breath. Just then Tobias wakes up. I look at him. He smiled a little. "Hey, you're okay" he says. I nod. "So whats the news?" Christina asks. "The good news is your recovering well, and you'll be able to walk within a week" She says, looking at me. The walking part sounds more like bad news to me. "And the bad news.." She says. This is going to be awful. "The chances of you being able to keep a pregnancy or even have a pregnancy is extremely low now" she says. Everything inside of me collapsed. I might not be able to have any more kids? "What?" Tobias says. He looks heart broken. The doctor nods. "I'm very sorry, we'll have another doctor come in after to explain it more" She says before leaving. I close my eyes again. "We'll give you guys some privacy" Will says. They got up and left. I turned to my side and hid the side of my face into the pillow. I started sobbing. I knew something bad would happen but I went out anyways. Thank God Tobin wasn't with me. Tobias grabbed my hand and I held his tightly. "I'm so sorry" I said before crying again. "Tris, don't be sorry, we still have a son. We need to be thankful for the one we have" Tobias says. I continue crying. Tobias just sits still, starring at the floor. Tobias almost never cries, even when he should. He sighs and climbs into the hospital bed with me. I turn to face him and ignore the pain in my side. "Come here," he says softly. I go into his embrace and he holds me in tight. He pulls the sheets up and covers me with them. I hide my face in his chest and wet his shirt with tears. Christina and Will come back in, and I try not to cry. "Tris, I wouldn't blame you for crying" Christina says gently. I nod and sniffle. Tobias presses his lips to my forehead. His hold is tight and strong. "I'm sorry" I said again.
--------------------------------------------
Once night comes I can't sleep. Tobias stayed by my side the whole time. "I'm bored," I sighed. "Want to go for a walk?" He asks. I nod. He gets up and grabs the black leather wheel chair in the corner of the room and rolls it in next to my bed. I sit up and he reaches his hand out. I grabbed his hand and slowly stood up. I lost my stability from the pain and gripped the bed railing. "Are you okay?" He asked. I didn't answer. I sat down into the wheel chair and ignored the constant pain. He pushed me around the halls of the hospital. It wasn't very busy at night. Eventually we were close to the infant section of the hospital. I heard several babies. Then the thought came back; I might never be able to have children again. I kept my head down and Tobias pushed me away. We didn't speak until we got back to my room. He crouched in front of me and held my hands. Tears collected in my eyes. "What's wrong? Was is the..." He started. I nodded. "I feel like I lost something, Tobias" I said quietly. He nods, he probably feels the same way. We got back into the hospital bed and held each other tight.