Arc 1: Chapter 14

We open the door revealing our room. It wasn't big, but it had two twin mattresses against the walls, a small kitchen, a couch and a bathroom. I walk straight to the bed and slump down on it. I feel my eyes shut right after I rest my head on the pillow.

~~~~~

I wake up, its dark outside. What time is it? I look over to the other twin bed and see Luke sound asleep. I lay back down and fall back asleep.

"Clementine." Luke says.

"Clem." He says shaking me.

"What?" I ask in a sleepy voice.

"You need to go see Cassandra." He reminds me.

"Luke, can you come with me?" I ask.

"Why?" He asks.

"I'm scared." I confess.

"Scared of what?" He chuckles.

"I'm scared its gonna hurt. Can you please come?" I say. I feel protected when I'm with him. I would feel better knowing he's there with me.

"Alright." He says.

We walk down to Cassandra's office and knock on her door.

"Hey Clementine, hey Luke." She greets us opening her door.

"Hey." Luke says back.

I say nothing. I'm really nervous.

"Ok, you ready?" She asks.

"Not really." I say.

"Don't worry, It's not gonna be that bad." She says.

"You said it's gonna hurt like hell." I confronted her.

"It is gonna hurt, but I'm gonna try to be as gentle as I can." She says.

I nod at her response.

"Ok lay down on the table." she says.

I hop on the table and lay down. Luke sits in one of the chairs and watches. I look at him, I can see in his face that he feels bad. I just stare into his eyes as she undoes the bandage Luke put around my waist to cover the wound.

"Well it looks clean...kinda." She says.

She grabs a bottle of peroxide and pours it onto a cloth. I look up and wait for the stinging to begin. She places the wet cloth on my wound and I flinch.

"This stuff hurts." she tells me.

"No shit." I blurt out.

"Clementine!" Luke sternly says.

"Sorry, that just kinda came out." I say in embarrassment

Cassandra just laughs and continues to clean out my wound.

"I need to remove the bullet now." She says.

"Shit." I whisper to myself. "Ok." I say.

She grabs tweezers and dips them in rubbing alcohol. "Good news, at least I can see the bullet." She says.

She takes her tweezers and puts them into the wound. I grit my teeth and tightly close my eyes. As I feel the tweezers get deeper into the wound the greater the pain is. "Ah!" I shout. It feels like a knife it's being stabbed into my side.

"I got the bullet. We are halfway done!" She says trying to lighten the mood. Nothing can lighten the mood for me I'm in too much pain right now.

I guess Luke can see that so he came over the table and told me it's ok.

She begins to pull the bullet out. This is way worse then the peroxide. I'm so glad Arvo's dead.

"Ow, shit!" I blurt out again.

She quickly yanks the tweezers out along with the bullet. "We are done." she says.

I remain laying on the table, I keep getting surges of pain in the wound.

She takes a water bottle and pours it on the wound. Then she puts a new bandage on and applies pressure to it so that the bleeding will stop.

"Come back every day until I say. We need to keep cleaning it." she says.

I get off of the table and hunch over in pain. Luke helps me walk back to the room where he sets me down on my bed.

"Aren't we suppose to be fed here?" Luke asks.

"I think." I say.

He walks out of the door, probably asking why we haven't been fed yet. A few minutes later he comes back with cans of food.

"Ok, I got two cans of soup, and a can of beans." Luke says happily.

He walks into the kitchen, there are a few sets of plastic silverware in the drawers.

"Here Clem." he says handing me a plastic spoon and a can of soup. I sit up criss cross on the bed. Luke grabs a can and joins me.

We both began to eat our soup.

"What did it feel like when she was taking out the bullet?" Luke asks.

"It felt really hot and I felt like a knife was wedged into your skin." I say trying to describe the feeling.

"For only being eleven your really tough." he says with a smile.

"Thanks, but I'm twelve now." I say smiling back.

"When did you turn twelve?" Luke asks.

"Right before you found me." I say.

"I'm glad I found you." he says.