Arc 4: Chapter 20

"Luke..."

I watch him sit above his friend while he cries in his hands.

He pulls out and knife and hesitates before stopping his friend from turning.

"F-fuck..." His whispers.

"Luke, do you... Do you need me to do it?" I ask softly.

He ignores me and shoves the knife into Nicks temple. He pauses for a moment before pulling it out and throwing the knife on the ground.

I want to say something but at the same time I don't.

"We need to get out of here." Luke stands up.

I don't respond to him but I do as he says.

"Come on Clem." He wipes his eyes.

We walk towards the door, I look back and take one last look at Nick.

-

A few hours pass of pure silence and walking. We've been walking through some old camp ground or something.

"Luke where are we going?" I ask.

He ignores me and keeps walking, his eyes are locked straight ahead of him.

"It's just the two of us now, what's your plan?" I ask.

Again, no response.

"I know you can hear me." I start getting annoyed.

"I don't know Clem. Why should I always have to come up with the plans around here?" He asks. I can hear it in his voice, he's really depressed.

"Because you're a leader, people look up to you and rely on your good decisions to keep us safe." I say.

He stops walking and turns around, facing me. "My best friend is dead Clem, I told him to go explore and he got killed because of that. That was my decision. It was a shitty one, so don't tell me that I make good decisions! No matter what I do someone ends up dead because of me!" He snaps.

"That wasn't your fault Luke, don't blame yourself." I try to coddle him.

"Don't tell me that Clem! I know what you're trying to do and it won't make me feel better! I'm responsible for Nick's death and I know it!" He shouts.

I look up into Luke's dark brown eyes. I feel horrible for him. I wrap my arms around his waist and hug him tightly. I notice he wasn't expecting me to do that so he slowly wraps his arms around me too.

"It's gonna be okay Luke." I say sadly.

"I can't loose you too." He whispers.

"What?" I look up at him.

"I can't loose you too." He repeats.

I see tears in his eyes.

"It's getting pretty dark, want to just rest here tonight?" He asks.

"Yeah." I say.

He starts a fire for the two of us, we sit next to each other as we sit around the fire to get warm.

It's pretty cold outside, but I'm not the one to complain.

I snuggle myself against Luke, I lay my head on his chest. He wraps his arm around me.

"I'm glad I have you." He says.

"Me too." I say.

"So, what's the plan?" I ask him again.

"I'm not sure. Maybe we should find another group, one that's more stable." He says.

"Yeah, I just hope they aren't rapists or cannibals... or both." I say.

"Rapist cannibals?" Luke asks me with a funny look on his face.

"Oh right, that was in one of my dreams, never mind." I say.

"What happened in it?" He asks.

"It's a long story." I say.

"I have nothing else better to do." He says.

I let out a yawn before I begin.

"I was alone but I ended up finding you, and we went to Wellington but it was bad and you almost died." I say.

"What? How?" He asks.

"I don't remember." I yawn again.

"But then you met this stupid girl who tried to kill me, I ended up killing her though." I say.

"How'd you kill her?" He asks.

"I shot her." I answer sleepily.

"And we met this rapist cannibal guy who tried to eat you and me. Carl was in the dream and he saved us." I say.

"That's a shocker." Luke says.

"Shut up." I playfully smack him.

"Okay okay, then what happened?" Luke asks.

"Well you did die, and I almost died but just before I could I woke up." I say.

"That's kinda fucked up Clem." He chuckles.

"Yeah I know." I yawn again.

"You seem pretty tired, get some sleep." He says softly.

"Okay." I close my eyes and fall asleep.