Chapter 3

Rhys spent most of the night shuffling through some of her earlier memories, shocked to find out she was tortured for 4 years and locked up for almost 6. He stayed away front the memories from the last 4 years, it felt like an invasion of privacy to see everything they did to her.

Mor and Cassian quietly came in, to find Rhys dozing off. When they got to the living room, Nova opened her eyes. Rhys sat up straight in his chair and shot a look over to Mor and Cassian to stay by the door. Nova shifted her gaze from the ceiling to Rhys's eyes, when he saw the panic in her eyes. She immediately sat up, groaning in pain, and she tried to stand up, when Rhys said, "You're safe here, don't try to stand up."

"Where am I?" She asked, her voice raspy.

"Velaris", Rhys responded with a smile.

She looked out the window, saw the sunlight, and put her hand over her mouth as she started tearing up.

A few tears fell down her face as she said, "I haven't seen sunlight in 6 years."

"I know", Rhys said standing up, "There are some people I'd like you to meet if that's okay."

Nova nodded and wiped off her face.

Rhys gestured for Mor and Cassian to come over, and they introduced themselves.

"I'm Morrigan, but everyone just calls me Mor." She said with a beaming smile.

"Cassian", he said, grinning at Nova.

"This is half of the inner circle, you can meet the rest later," Rhys said.

"Inner circle?" She questioned.

"My family, the people that help me run the night court," Rhys responded.

"Does that quiet spymaster still work for you?, I went on a few missions with him." She quietly asked.

"Yes, that's Azriel, I'll tell him to come to see you later," Rhys said, smirking.

It only earned him a glare from Nova. Cassian said to Rhys, "I have to go stop by some of the Illyrian camps, I'll be back this afternoon."

"Don't let anyone kick your ass," Rhys said as Cassian walked out the front door.

Cassian sent Rhys an 'oh please' look over his shoulder.

"Mor will get you set up in a room upstairs for now," Rhys said to Nova.

Mor held out her hand for Nova to take, as she stood up, her legs wobbled, barely strong enough to hold her weight. They slowly walked up the stairs to an empty room. Once Nova sat on the bed, Mor let go of her arm.

"I put some clothes in there for you last night," Mor said, gesturing to the armoire. "I'm gonna send Nuala and Cerridwen up to help you get cleaned up."

Nova nodded and stared out the window of her room as Mor left.

Rhys called for an inner circle meeting at 2, giving Cassian enough time to fly back from the camps.

A few hours went by, everyone left Nova alone to bathe and rest, and the inner circle made their way to the kitchen of the townhouse.

Rhys realized Amren was unaware of the events that happened the previous night, so he quickly filled her in before the meeting.

The conversations around the table stopped when Rhys said, "6 years. She was locked down there for 6 years." Amren, Azriel, and Feyre all stared at Rhys in shock.

"How did no one notice?" Cassian said quietly.

Everyone shook their heads.

"Her brother locked her up after their parents died Under the Mountain." Rhys continued, "She was tortured and raped for the last 4 years before she escaped."

"What happened in Winter Court when her brother noticed she was gone?" Mor asked.

Azriel answered, "I have word that Kallias found out Alex kept her in the dungeon, but he objects to the accusations and technically there's no evidence. Kallias had to believe him, and Alex is still the commander of the Winter Court armies."

"Didn't Kallias question the dungeon guards?" Amren pitched in.

"Alex would have made them swear secrecy from the beginning," Cassian answered.

"They denied that they even knew who she was," Azriel added, shaking his head.

"How the fuck do people get away with this shit?" Mor said, hardly controlling her anger.

No one answered, some just shook their heads.

"Will she be able to stay here?" Cassian asked, breaking the silence.

"She has no reason to go back to Winter Court, so she can stay however long she wants. Once she gains her strength back, I'm gonna have you and Az train her so she can at least protect herself again." Rhys said, pointing at Cassian.

Cassian and Azriel nodded.

"I will go see Kallias let him know we have her and tell him everything I know." He turned to Feyre, "I will be back by sundown", before getting up from the table and winnowing away.

Amren left, and the rest stayed silent at the table until Mor turned to Az and spoke up, "You've worked with her before?"

He replied, smiling, "Yeah, she was great at her job."

"Interested?," Cassian suggested, noting Az's smile.

Azriel said with a slight harshness in his voice, "She just escaped from being underground for 6 years, of course, I'm gonna be nice to her."

Cassian put his hands up as Feyre changed the subject to a solstice party that would be happening in a few weeks. Everyone was curious as to why Azriel had snapped at Cassian but decided to let it go.