Chapter Twenty-Two - Keefe

He couldn't believe they couldn't see anything. The earth was writhing, twisting, turning. Rumbling, rippling, rocking. This wasn't an earthquake. This wasn't the shake of plates under the ground moving. This was different. Calm, but somehow constantly moving. A swirl of patterns on the wall.

"You... you really can't see it?" Keefe asked. But he could tell from Foster's eyes that she couldn't.

"No," Foster whispered. Then she whirled on Forkle. "What's happening? What did he mean... what do you mean by alive?" she asked, turning back to Keefe.

He swallowed. She was really cute when she was frustrated.

"Um," he croaked gracefully, trying to pull his mind back to her question and away from her narrowed brown eyes. "I don't know. It's just, kind of, swirling around, and... moving, and glinting, and really pretty-"

Wait. Now he was describing her eyes. Ugh. This was what happened when you fall for an amazing, beautiful, sensitive, kind – argh!

Luckily, he wasn't feeling any comprehension from her.

"Swirling? Moving? Pretty?" she asked, her nose wrinkled in confusion. Keefe resisted to urge to smooth it out.

"Yeah. I don't know how to describe it, it just... the earth and walls and floor... uh," he mumbled. "It's hard to explain."

"The earth, you say, Mr. Sencen?" Forkle asked, stepping closer to the chair Keefe was sitting on. Keefe nodded in response. "But that's impossible. We have no abilities involving the earth in the way you are describing; the way your memories see them."

"You read my thoughts?" Keefe yelped, grabbing his head as if to block him.

"Yes, Mr. Sencen. I did." Forkle's eyes bore into Keefe's, and Keefe was pretty sure he knew what Forkle now knew. And it was so embarrassing. Not that it had come as a surprise. Forkle had already known from earlier.

"Why do we not have an ability involving the earth?" Tam asked. Keefe jumped, having forgotten the rest of their friends were there, and Tam smirked. Keefe rolled his eyes.

"I don't know, Mr. Tam. It's very curious. Very curious indeed, because we have an ability for each of the other elements. I'll have to read up on it. For now, Mr. Sencen, are you in any pain? We should probably get you to Elwin – have you checked up."

Keefe groaned. "Please, not another doctor visit! I love Elwin and all, but I seriously feel fine!" He didn't mention the spinning room and the swirling patterns over the walls and floors. He wasn't in pain, and there was no need for any more of that worry from Foster.

Sophie took his hand, looking at him worriedly. "Are you sure?" she asked.

Keefe smirked and chuckled, trying to breathe. "Of course I'm okay," he said, trying to inject some confidence in his voice. He noticed Fitz in the corner of the room, drawing nearer with an almost deadly look on his face.

Sophie paused, then narrowed her eyes. "Your pulse doesn't say the same thing," she said.

Keefe jerked his hand away. Ugh. He should have known. No doubt his dad had given her the secret.

"Really, I'm fine. The room's spinning a little, but, hey! So what? It's nothing," he said.

Foster narrowed her eyes again, then nodded at Mr. Forkle. "He definitely needs to go to Elwin."

"Uuugggghhhhh."

***

"He's still fine," Elwin said with a frown, continuing to flash lights in Keefe's face. Keefe blinked at each one, trying to decide whether he liked purple or blue best.