Chapter Nineteen - Sophie - Part Two

*Review*...

Sophie was confused for a moment, but then she clenched her teeth in understanding. "Don't call her that," she gritted out. Councilor Lying curls was not her mother. She already had a mother. "and don't say that at all! No one else knows I know who... my biological donor is.

*And, continuing on in the same piece of dialogue*...

Somebody could overhear!"

"Relax, Miss Foster. No one knows what I really mean when I say... that."

"Still."

"Will it be alright for Mr. Sencen and I to come to Havenfield to discuss it?"

"Fine, if you must," Sophie said, a whiny note creeping into her voice accidently.

"We will meet you there in five minutes."

***

"Still the same as always," Keefe said admiringly, looking around the living room of Havenfield. He probably hadn't seen it last night because it had been dark.

"Yep," Ro agreed in a much grumpier voice. "still sparkle town."

Sophie laughed, some of the tightness in her chest easing. But not all of it.

"Hello, Miss Foster," Mr. Forkle said gingerly as he stepped into the room.

"Hi," Sophie said, holding the door open for him.

"So, Forkle," Keefe said when they were all settled on the couch. Grady and Edaline had told Sophie they would be busy with stuff with the animals, but Sophie was pretty sure they were just trying to give her some privacy, which she was grateful for. "you're going to show me and the babysitter who you "truly are"? he asked with a grin.

Sophie felt her heart flutter, and she tried to squash it before he noticed anything. Though he cast a suspicious glance at her, after a second he looked away, shrugging.

"No, Mr. Sencen, I am not," Mr. Forkle said. "I am only going to tell you. I don't have the elixirs with me to change form at the moment. Miss Foster, will you do the honors?" he asked.

Sophie nodded, turning to Keefe, who was staring at her intently. She ignored her stupid heart's fluttering and spoke, telling him all about what had happened, who Mr. Forkle "truly was", and who his brother had been to their friends. When she was finished, Keefe was open-mouthed, but also sympathetic.

"Are they okay?" he asked concernedly. "Wylie and Maruca? How are they taking it?"

"They're doing alright," Sophie said. "Linh's been a big help with Wylie, and Maruca has been super supportive too. Neither of them were really close to the other Forkle, so it wasn't too big of a... problem. Honestly, I think it's been more of a shock than anything else."

Sophie hadn't really talked to Maruca or Wylie much since Mr. Forkle's announcement, and she probably should have checked in with them. But with Keefe waking up, and having to tell him all the details of what had happed while he'd been out, she'd forgotten.

"Well, that's good," Keefe said, blinking.

A moment later, a dazed look came over his face. And then, he froze.

"Mr. Sencen, what's going on?" Mr. Forkle said, worry lines appearing on his wrinkled face when Keefe didn't answer. When there was no response, he snapped, "Mr. Sencen! Now is not a time for games! I need to know you are alright!"