Chapter Nine: Relief

Nightfall began to cast its dark presence across the Fire Nation as Katara began to make her way towards the capital. Throughout her leisurely walk, an intense headache pierced through her head due to the overwhelming stress that bore down heavily across her shoulders.

"I could go for one of Aang's massages right about now," she said with a sad smile. The thought of him continued to plague her sanity as she looked up towards the stars. Sighing, she brought her head low and allowed one silent tear to escape her eye. Never had she ever felt this alone, and she had a big part in making this feeling a reality. At her lowest point, both Toph and Sokka were keeping her upright and stable. But now... now that she had left them, she had nothing but emptiness within her. With Aang gone, a major piece of her was ripped out, leaving her bleeding with sorrow internally. And now Sokka and Toph were gone too, at her own discretion. She had left them, and the look of shame across Sokka's face seared in her memory. How could she be so angry with them, when in reality, she was angry with herself. She blamed herself for all that had happened to her and her friends. Now that she thought of it, everything that had happened in her life could've been avoided. Her friends, Aang, her mother... all of them could've been shielded from the pain they endured if Katara would've been able to react quicker. But, reality didn't allow for rewinds, it didn't allow for do-overs, and now she was suffering every single consequence. Her inner strength had been tested throughout her adventures, but now, her inner strength was deteriorating, and only one thing could stop it. Halting her wandering, Katara dropped to her knees, looking at her broken reflection within the ripples of water. Her reflection in the water reflected her self-image, broken.

"Life has seemed to break you, young waterbender. Yet your persistence in picking up the broken pieces goes far beyond your age. If anything, that is a true testament to your power." Eyes wide in shock, Katara slowly looked up as Iroh smiled down upon her.

"Iroh," she muttered, rubbing her eyes as if her mind was playing tricks on her. Smiling, Iroh offered his hand towards Katara and lifted her to her feet.

"How-... how did you find me? What are you doing here?" Chuckling slightly, Iroh began to lead her in a different direction, away from the capital. With her mind on autopilot, she remained focused on Iroh as they continued to walk.

"I've been staying with my nephew ever since his sister came back towards the Fire Nation. For about a month now, I've been away from my tea shop, hopefully, my workers are keeping it tidy," he said with a cheery laugh." Realizing her confusion, Iroh continued by answering her questions.

"I was sent by a friend of yours, he figured that you would try to find him, so I scoured the area and sure enough, here you are."

"A friend of mind?" As Katara questioned him, it dawned on her that the friend in mind was one that she was missing so dearly.

"Are you-... are you talking about Aang? Do you know where he is?" Her voice was laced with curiosity and hope as she looked up at the Dragon of the West. In response, he gave her a subtle nod and continued to walk upward towards the surrounding volcano ranges that overlooked the capital. Giddiness began to fill her entire being as she raced towards Iroh.

"Is- is he okay?" Iroh smiled weakly as he peered over towards the joyful waterbender.

"He's alive if that's what you're asking. However, the young boy has gone through much since you two split off from one another."

"I know," she muttered, touching her mother's necklace out of instinct. "He was brutally beaten by Zhao, and he made him pay the price for that." Iroh remained silent, yet his eyes went wide as the darkness in Katara's voice made it abundantly clear that the rumors swirling around Aang and Zhao's battle were true. Luckily for Iroh, he didn't have to prod the waterbender for answers since he was so in tune with the spirits that graced both the mortal and spirit world, but the sheer act of sending Zhao back to his purgatory was still surprising nonetheless. As they continued forward towards Iroh's destination, he looked towards his side and noticed the conflict burning within the eyes of Katara. Reluctantly, he stopped, and placed a hand on her shoulder, dragging her out from the mental turmoil that she was mentally processing.