twelve >>> in the village

Morning came early

Morning came early. I didn't sleep much last night. If I did, it was only an hour or two. I woke up before anybody still sitting by the tree Lexa had left me at. I didn't want to move nor did I want to be by my people. 

I opened up my bag and slid out my journal. I let it lay on my legs for a long moment before opening it up. My eyes scanned each page as I began looking through. And as I went through and got to the most recent ones I stopped on an image I had drew of Lexa. It was of her in her armor, in her war paint around her eyes. With her hand on her sword. But the thing about it was, she looked fierce, no doubt but...her eyes. The way I drew her eyes were the way she looked at me in person. She didn't look at me with anger or disgust. She didn't look at me with no emotion. She looked at me with a softness, with care. Something I haven't seen her do with anybody else. I missed it. I miss her. 

"Y/N?" I jump and close my journal, looking over to my right finding Lincoln. He tilts his head as I give him a quick smile turning away. I slide my journal into my bag and zip it shut feeling the grounder take a seat beside me. "Couldn't sleep?" 

"No, you?" I ask turning and bringing my knees up to my chest once more. Out of the corner of my eye I see the grounder shake his head from side to side. A silence filled the air between us and I can't lie. It was somewhat comfortable in a way that I didn't mind us just sitting there. But when I see the grounder move a bit and see his head turn towards me I knew that silence was to end. 

"She looks to you with care," he says, catching me off guard. Slowly, I turn my head and lock my eyes with his. 

"W-What?" 

"The commander-" he pauses, causing me to look away looking back out in front of us. "I haven't seen her look at anyone like that before. I noticed it when I tried to get you back..." 

I stay silent, not really knowing what to say. 

"Any by the way the two of you act...I know there's something going on between the two of you." 

"I don't know what you're-" 

"Don't do that," Lincoln says cutting me off. "Love is rare Y/N. It's something we rarely get especially something as strong as what me and Octavia have or what you and Lexa have." 

"If she would admit her feelings..." I mumble earning a chuckle from Lincoln. I turn my head looking to him, seeing a smirk against his lips. "What?" 

"My people believe love is weakness," he tells me, adding. "If my people find out about the way Lexa feels for you, she would be found as weak. Our people want a strong, fierce leader."

"But she is-" I stop talking hearing talking from behind us. Lincoln glances over his shoulder and then looks back to me. He leans forward and gets close to my ear. 

"Just don't forget the way she makes you feel. She feels the same," Lincoln whispers standing up. I look up to him as he disappears. I stare at the spot he disappears from, confused by our conversation but every word stays locked in my mind.