Chapter 37: The Embassy

"Still no activity, Major. All clear."

"Good." Marcus replied. "We've almost reached the embassy district. Ferro, take point and scan the area ahead for any threats. Leon, stay behind and watch our tail."

Still looking at the screens on his HUD, Marcus continued to direct his men. He found it hard to concentrate as Ambassador Vidal and Lady Taneera's speeches lingered in his ears, but he continued to push through. So far, nothing suspicious had been spotted, but he wasn't going to get lax now. Especially when they were almost at the embassy.

Overhearing the dignitaries' discussions, Marcus was surprised at how belligerent Lady Taneera was being. Everytime Ambassador Vidal proposed something that went against the militarism of the Xan-Klar Empire, the noblewoman immediately shut him down and took his words as either insults or pleas for mercy. When he asked if the Xan-Klar were going to open their borders to immigration or trade, she replied by stating boldly "Any foreign ships that enter Xan-Klar territory will be attacked on sight."

And when he asked if the Xan-Klar were going to militarise the border with the Human Union of Worlds and the Greater Nalyr Federation, her reply was one word.

"Yes."

Marcus was reminded of a quote from a book he read about Earth's distant past. A quote from a man named Theodore Roosevelt.

'Speak softly and carry a big stick.'

Well, the Xan-Klar had one of those two ideas down.

The procession moved out into a more open street, the roads and pavements lined with trees. The stones and laid tarmac of the pathways were clean and well-kept, devoid of litter or grime. As the group of humans and Xan-Klar wheeled to the right, Marcus looked ahead and saw the street extend for around two hundred metres, lined by more towering city blocks on either side and streets turning off to the left and right between buildings. A the end of the street was what looked like a construction site, beams and cables supporting the structure of a ragged and collapsing skyscraper. Possibly one damaged during the Battle of Kenostros.

The sound of hissing brakes then sounded behind him, and Marcus turned to see that a large vehicle reversed and pulled up against the kerb – a lorry and cab. From inside, several Sirthon, dressed in ragged clothing with collars and manacles gripping into their flesh, climbed out and began to shuffle towards the back of the van, ready to unload what it carried.

Slaves.

Marcus felt a pang of deep sorrow and anger as he saw this. But as much as he wanted to act, he kept himself in check. He wasn't here to play rebellious folk hero, and the Xan-Klar seemed suspicious enough of humanity as it was. Trying to free their slaves, as much as they deserved their freedom, would only make things worse.

Humanity would have to pick their battles carefully if peace was to be maintained.

All of a sudden, Taneera and Vidal stopped, turning slightly to the right as though something had caught their attention. As the whole procession jarred to a halt behind them, Marcus noticed in the nick of time and planted his legs into the ground, stopping just shy of bumping into one Lady Taneera's Xan-Klar aides.

Peering over the scaly shoulders of the aliens, Marcus saw what had happened.

They had arrived at the Human Embassy. It was a three-story building, but since it was squeezed between two gargantuan tower blocks, it looked tiny by comparison. It was constructed in an aesthetically-pleasing style, decorated with ridged columns and elaborately-styled windowsills, carved into the shapes of spirals and curves..

The flag of the Human Union of Worlds – a ring of golden spheres on a sky-blue-field – hung either side of the main doorway, which was tall and wide enough to let any species through, be they human, Nalyr, Kropen or Xan-Klar.

A clear sign that this building was built for future negotiations with the other members of the Galactic League.

"Here is the embassy, Lady Lasethri." Ambassador Vidal gestured to the structure in a grand manner.

"I see." Taneera placed her hand on her hip. "So, this is the place where we may relay the demands of the Empire to the Galactic League?" she asked.

Vidal visibly bit his gums in frustration. "Well, yes, but it is also a place where the-"

"Good." Lady Taneera interrupted him again. "We will make good use of this structure to ensure that there will be no more confusion between our Empire and your League."

Marcus raised an eyebrow when he heard that.

"Confusion?" Vidal asked.

Taneera replied to him instantly. "Many of your questions, Ambassador, have been about our stance towards your Union and the other species of this galaxy." She turned to face Vidal, smirking slightly. "Well now, with this structure at our disposal, there should be no more uncertainty between us. Once your Union and others accept the list of demands, all you need to do is comply to them and peace will be-"

A sudden, ear-splitting 'Bang!' filled the air. Crimson blood sprayed in all directions. A thick, clotted gurgling sound echoed filled their air as a Xan-Klar soldier's body was blasted open by a flash of a white-orange light.

Marcus' head instantly flew upwards and looked around. In an instant, his eyes shot to the rooftops, looking for signs of a sniper. Scanning the area, his helmet's visual feed zoomed in, allowing him to check for sightlines.

Another shot crackled through the air, and another Xan-Klar dropped dead, the reek of scorched flesh and boiled blood spouting everywhere. Then came another shot, and another and another. Beams of light flashed down from the construction sight at the end of the street, the air alight and cracking like thunder as the blasters superheated the air around them.

Snipers. Targeting the Xan-Klar.

"Major!" Leon's voice filled Marcus' ears. "Contact in the construction site!"

"Copy that!" Marcus replied, his heart racing but his voice calm. "Leon, Ferro, take them out. We'll get the ambassadors to safety."

Looking up through his zoomed perspective, Marcus saw ten Orbital Commandos leapt from their rooftop positions and launch themselves into the construction sight. Flashes of light flared through the broken windows, gunfire and battle-cries echoing down the street. Nodding slightly, he then turned to locate Ambassador Vidal and Lady Taneera, ready to dive forward and push them out of sight of the snipers. All around him, the sound of gunfire boomed like a chorus as the Oribital Commandos and the Xan-Klar warriors fired back, mixed with the heavy clanking of the Fireheart Wardens leaping forward.

It was then that Marcus noticed something. At the centre of it all, Haraq was standing still, perfectly calm and unconcerned by what was happening around him. And when human and Xan-Klar alike were struck by blaster fire, his pink face and bony mandibles twisted into a cruel, vicious smirk.

Marcus froze for a moment as he saw this, the world seeming to slow down around him. Haraq's four-eyed gaze drifted over to Marcus, still smiling as he reached into the bag hanging from his shoulders.

Seeing this, Marcus' thoughts raced through his head. Leaping forward, his armour's thrusters hurtled him through the air, the sound of the burning fuel waning away amidst the sound of gunfire.

Haraq pulled a silver-coloured object from his belt, its frame laden with wires and small metal panels. Gripping it tightly in his hand, the Sirthon held it high. Marcus' hand flew to his pistol, wrenching it free and pointing it at Haraq's head.

"For the Sirthon Republic!"

The object burned white-hot, then blasted outwards like a supernova and engulfed everything in sight...