Chapter 6: Pens, Showers and Family

Magsimula sa umpisa

 After I collected my phone and purse from my rooms I headed down the stairs and in to the living room to wait for Ivy to come pick me up. My mother sat in the middle of the couch looking deflated, papers were splayed around the wide coffee table.

"What are you doing?" I questioned her. I sat down in one of the empty spaces next to her on the couch.

"Divorce papers." She pointed to the many pages on the coffee table.

"You're finally doing it?" I asked her in bewilderment.

"Yeah but I don't know if he'll sign them, I've got to try though I can't keep living like this." She gave me a weak smile. I wrapped my arms around her neck and pulled her towards me in a tight embrace.

A horn sounded from outside and I slowly tore myself away from mom. "I love you mom, I'll be home soon."

"Home by midnight Hazel, you know the rules," she scolded me.

"Of course mom." I kissed her on the cheek before quickly grabbing my purse and phone off of the couch cushion.

Ivy sat in her car blaring Luke Conard's song 'Talk Nerdy', doing a rather obnoxious amount of head banging, it wasn't even the type of song that you could head bang to.

"Could you can the jams women?" I screeched at Ivy over the blaring music. She immediately turned the volume dial down and gave her attention to me.

"Getting nervous?" she asked, raising an eyebrow at me.

"Really nervous, I don't want his family to hate me." I began to scrath the already cracked sparkling red paint off of my nails, something I've grown accustomed to doing whenever I'm nervous. 

Ivy started the car and we travelled along silently from there, she tapped her fingers on the steering wheel showing that she too was nervous. 

 When we pulled up out the front of Declan's house I marvelled out the absolute beauty of it. The house itself was an average family, double floored house but the garden out the front was truly a sight to behold. A cobblestoned footpath marked a trail from the gutter to the front door, along each side trailed a line of orange and yellow Poppies and what looked to be bushes of Gemini Roses grew to aroundd window height and lined the front of the house.

"Well are you going to get out or would you rather continue to drool all over my window?" Ivy snapped me out of my thoughts.

"Oh, sorry." I pushed on the door of Ivy's car and walked as fast as I could to catch up to Ivy who had quickly made her way up to the front door and had already pushed the doorbell. I heard a banging noise that sounded like footsteps running downstairs and I hoped to god that it was Declan.

A couple of daunting seconds later the door finally opened, revealing a well-dressed, handsome looking Declan. He had obviously dressed up for the occassion, his normal plaid shirt and brown trousers were replaced with a dark green v-neck shirt paired with black skinny jeans.  He grinned broadly as he stepped aside to let us in and I couldn't help but stare a little to long at how his muscles almost buldged out of his shirt. As he shut the door behin us, he reached up and put his hand on my shoulder and for a second I felt tingles run down my spine from the contact.

"Dinner's almost ready. Mom, Elinor and Conner are in the kitchen." Declan began walking towards another room so we assumed that he was leading us to the kitchen, and followed him.

A female that looked to be in her twenties sat at a kitchen island, she had short raven black hair that cut off around her shoulders and she was making kissing faces to a small boy with the same coloured hair, he was giggling and clapping his hands in the ladys face. A woman who looked like she was in her mid fourties who I assumed was Declan's mother stood at a stove stirring a pot of something, whatever it was it smelt delectible.