Do You Hear The People Sing?

Start from the beginning

"You kids be careful, alright? You're doing the right thing, but some people won't see it that way."

We nod in agreement, then get out of the car and head up to join our friends. Phillip looks at me with a reassuring smile as we climb the steps. Let's do this.

ABOUT TWO HOURS LATER

It's about second period now, and attendance should be going to the office soon. Which is when Pulitzer should notice just how many students aren't in class. I don't know how he hasn't noticed yet. There's hundreds of us. I'm standing on top of a low wall beside the school and I can see EVERYONE. There's the rest of The Freakshow all around me, waving signs and yelling. There's Katherine and the newspaper staff, wearing the shiny plastic press badges they wear to every official school event. Scattered throughout the crowd below me are Race and his boyfriend Spot, Evan's friends Jared and Alana, Connor's sister Zoe, Phillip's friend Theo, most of the theatre kids including Dylan and Grace, and a ton more. The Mathletes, football players, band kids, orchestra kids, art kids, everyone. The ones closest to the wall I'm standing on are all familiar, because I met them all yesterday. We put out a sign-up sheet on the protest page for anyone who wants to stand up and speak when Pulitzer inevitably comes out of his office. About twenty kids signed up, which was more than we expected. Soon enough, Pulitzer came storming out of the school, followed by Mr. Washington and Ms. Laurens. The principal stopped near the doors, but Mr. Washington and Ms. Laurens kept walking. They made their way through the crowd until they reached us, and Mr. Washington called out over the noise.

"Got any room for two more?"

Phillip nodded enthusiastically as they came up to join us on the wall, and threw his arms around his aunt as she joined us. He said something to her that I couldn't hear. Then, Pulitzer started yelling at us.

"You all need to stop this nonsense and go to class! If you go now, only those who started this absurd scheme will be punished!"

No one moved, which made me really happy. Jack grabbed the microphone, and addressed Pulitzer.

"Well, Joe, as you can see, you're a little outnumbered here. So we have a few people here who would like to say something to you. I'll go first."

He helped Crutchie stand up next to him, then addressed the crowd. One of the newspaper kids, Davey I think, pulled out a camera and started recording as Jack started talking.

"This is my boyfriend, Charlie, or as everyone calls him, Crutchie. We're both gay, and we've been dating since the end of freshman year. Now, you all may not have seen us in the hallways or in your classes for the past week. Why? Because we were suspended for holding hands and being affectionate in the hallways. Nothing crazy or worth being punished for, just holding hands and a kiss on the cheek. And when we tried to ask why it was a different punishment for us, we were told that it's different for people with our "preferences". I'm not asking for special treatment, I'm just asking to be treated fairly. Thank you."

The crowd exploded as they hopped off the wall. Theo Burr stepped up next.

"I would just like to say thank you to Mr. Pulitzer for insisting my purse be emptied in front of everyone in the cafeteria one day for no apparent reason and giving me in school suspension for asking if we could do it privately because I was on my period and I didn't want my pads all over the cafeteria. Just because I'm black doesn't mean I have drugs or a gun in my purse. And just so you know? He dumped my bag out anyway."

Wow. I have new respect for that girl. Race stepped up to the microphone next, along with a short boy in a dance team jacket that must be his boyfriend Spot. This should be interesting.

"So, Joe. Spot and I are gay, and dating. We had this whole elaborate speech planned out involving twelve thinly-veiled insults and three Star Wars references, but then we just decided to do this."

He then kissed Spot right there in front of everyone, while both boys raised their middle fingers in Pulitzer's general direction. I'm really not sure what I expected Race to do. It's Race. After they stepped down, Katherine stepped up. This should be interesting.

"Hi, DAD. You see, you say all these horrible things about anyone that's not straight or white, and I have to sit there quietly while you insult my friends. And it's not just my friends anymore. This will make a great coming out story. I'm Aro/Ace, which means NO RELATIONSHIPS, no matter how many times you try to set me up with Darcy. So every time you insult someone that's LGBTQ+, you're insulting your own daughter. I'm a part of that little plus at the end there. Thank you for your time."

Pulitzer's face is about as red as my Converse when Katherine steps down to deafening applause. It looks like she's about to cry, which doesn't surprise me. That could not have been easy, even for Katherine. But Crutchie and Jack are hugging her, and Phillip's pulling me up onto the wall. Great, it's our turn. And we decided I'm talking first.

"Hi. I'm Dia de la Vega. I'm new to this school this year, and everything has been great. The only thing that's not great? Being harassed by certain students who will go unnamed-"

Phillip let out a "cough" into his microphone.

"coughReginaGeorgecough."

"And it being assumed that I will automatically break the rules because I am Latina. That is why I was suspended last week. An assumption. My mother and father are both  first-generation Americans. My father's family is from the Dominican Republic, my mother's family is from Puerto Rico. I am not an illegal immigrant. I'm a U.S. citizen, and I deserve to be treated like one."

I passed the microphone to Phillip, who gave me a nervous smile before talking.

"Hi. I'm Phillip Hamilton. I am not an illegal immigrant. My father is a legal immigrant from the island of Nevis, in the Caribbean. My mother is half Chinese. The jokes about illegal immigration and deportation that you think are funny? I'm not laughing. I was also suspended last week on the assumption that I would break the rules. Since when are we being punished before we even commit the crime?"

As we stepped down, people started cheering. Pulitzer stormed back into his office, and Damien hopped up on the wall and plugged his phone into the microphone speaker.

"Now, I know most of you aren't musical theatre nerds like I am, but most people know this song. And if you don't, the lyrics are easy enough to catch on."

As Damien pressed play, hundreds of voices started singing along, echoing down the block.

Will you join in our crusade?
Who will be strong and stand with me?
Somewhere beyond the barricade
Is there a world you long to see?
Then join in the fight
That will give you the right to be free!  

Do you hear the people sing?
Singing the songs of angry men?
It is the music of the people
Who will not be slaves again!
When the beating of your heart
Echoes the beating of the drums
There is a life about to start
When tomorrow comes!

I freaking love Les Mis.
✌️ Peace out all you beautiful, wonderful peeps.

1964 words