Chapter 31

It is the first day of my 5th year, and I'm already soaked to the bone. If the pouring rain outside wasn't enough, Peeves had been grateful enough to throw water balloons over half of us.

I sit next to my two best friends at the Ravenclaw table, and turn to my right to see someone had joined us.

"Tergeo," mutters Laurie as the liquid flies off my robes.

"Thanks Laurie," I say, feeling the warmth creep back into me.

"Why aren't you sitting by your friends," snaps Kala, almost covering Luna protectively from Laurie's view. Luna and I gap at her in shock, but Laurie seems unbothered by Kala's uncharacteristic outburst.

"Everyone thinks I'm an arsehole for hexing Cho at Christmas, and I was finally making good with Cho and Marietta again. Then, that bitch went and rubbed it in my face that Cedric hangs out with her. So naturally I hexed her again," Laurie eyes Cho viciously. "But now I have no one to sit with."

"You're fine here," Luna smiles pushing past Kala to see the other blonde.

"Thanks Lu."

I try to focus on the sorting, but I can't help but to focus on Kala staring daggers at Laurie. Of course, she pretends not to notice, but as each minute passes; Kala looks closer and closer to exploding. I am finally pulled out studying my two friends by the sound of Fred's voice.

"You're JOKING!"

"I am not joking Mr. Weasley. The Triwizard Tournament was established 700 years ago as a friendly competition between Hogwarts, Beauxbatons and Durmstrang. There is a champion selected from each school to compete three tasks. Because of the dangers of the tournament the Ministry imposed a rule at only those 17 years or older can enter. Durmstrang and Beauxbatons will be joining us in October..."

Murmur at the Triwizard Tournament ripples throughout the table, but I'm too distracted looking at two certain redheads to pay attention to Dumbledore or the other students. Even from here I could see mischievous glint in their eyes as they whispered back and forth furiously. No doubt already planning a way to enter illegally.

"Eva, come on. It's time to go back to our dorms," Luna taps me lightly with a smile on her face.

As we enter our common room Kala faces me. "If you were of age would you enter?"

I hesitate and think. "Probably not. It seems too dangerous for my liking, but we don't have time to worry about the Tournament anyways...we've got O.W.L.S this year."

The darker girl let's out a loud groan, and mumbles to herself. "Of course I get put in bloody Ravenclaw, even though I can barely pass each class."

The next day at breakfast, Flitwick walks up to me. "Here you are Miss Jackson. With your timetable I except great scores on your O.W.L.S," he flashes me a smile before moving on.

While Luna leans on Kala's shoulder, and talks with her as Fred slides next to me on the bench. "Hello love. Ah let's see what-"

"Hey!" I yell as Fred snatches the timetable out of my hands.

"-we have here....I see you were able to get into the Care of Magical Creatures class for 5th years."

"All thanks to your brother. He talked to Hagrid and Flitwick to help get me in," I say taking a bite of the eggs in front of me.

As I start to chew Fred grumbles just loud enough for me to hear, "Yeah, yeah. You and Charlie had your summer together, we get it."

A smirk forms on my lips as a laugh escapes, "Is someone jealous?"

"No," he scoffs turning away from me, "So me and George are mixing up an aging potion. Want in? We're still trying to convince Lee but there should be enough."

"Nice job changing the subject. Really got yourself out of that one," I say sarcastically, "And I have no desire to enter that bloody death tournament. Plus I have O.W.L.S this year-"

"Oh, you don't actually need to study for those.  George and I didn't, and we did decent," his smirk appears back on his face as he moves to face me again.

"You two barely got any-"

He silences me by putting hand against my mouth. "You don't need to go telling everyone Ev. Now you should go, you have Professor Moody first, and from what I hear about him you don't want to be late." He whisks away from the table before I can answer him, leaving me with the two love birds.

"Hey Lu! Kala and I'v got to go before we're late for Moody's class."

"Bye!" The three of us chorus at the same time.

We end up early and pick seats near the end of the room, waiting patiently for everyone to fill in. It seems like forever as everyone whispers excitedly about the new teacher. Finally, he comes busting in a few minutes late.

"Alastor Moody. Ex-Auror and your new Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher. I'm here because Dumbledore asked me. End of story, goodbye the end." He starts to move up and down the rows, his wooden leg thumping against the floor and eyeball roaming the room. "The Ministry says you're too young to see these curses but I say different!"

He stops in front of a 5th year Hufflepuff boy who looked slightly scared. "What's your name boy?"

"Carsten Jones Professor," the boy said daring to look Moody in the eye.

"Mister Jones, can you give us an Unforgivable Curse?"

"Er, the Cruciatus Curs-"

"Yes, yes the torture curse," he runs up to the front of the classroom next to a cage. Reaching in he pulls out a very big, very deadly looking spider.

Pulling out his wand he bellows, "Crucio!"

The spider twists and turns under the spell making weird almost screaming noises. Everyone winces for a few seconds before he stops. "You," he points his wand directly at Cho, "give us another curse."

"The Imperius Curse, sir."

"Imperio!" he yells at the spider as becomes still, and then with a quick flick of his wand it starts to move about the classroom flying around. "Loads of witches and wizards claim they only served You-Know-Who under this curse. But how do we tell the liars, huh?"

With the spider still hovering he walks up in front of me as I try to keep my face straight. "The last curse?"

"The Killing Curse, sir," I say trying to look him in the eye.

"Avada Kedavra!" Neither of us flinch as the spider lets out one final breath only a few centimeters away from me.

Enjoy this chapter from a very sleep deprived me.