Chapter 9 - Tension

I wake, peaceful and comfortable with my head resting on Charlie's chest. I blush, thinking that we had gotten carried away, but then I remember the light kisses we have shared. The memory makes me smile, but then I remember the awkwardness after when we both realised what was happening. This eventually ending with me falling asleep on the other end of the couch. But how have I ended up with my head on his chest...? I'm not complaing, I'm just confused.

I slowly stand and stretch, heading to the kitchen for some toast. Before I get too far, however, I turn back to look at the strong man resting peacefully. He looks so innocent whilst asleep, and he looks a lot younger, as if he was sixteen and not twenty. This makes me smile as I pop my toast into the toaster. 

As I do this, I realise that I haven't had a nightmare. This confuses me as I have been having them since... Well, lets just say they are routine. Perhaps I had begun to toss and turn in my sleep and he wanted to make sure I was okay. I will have to ask him when he wakes. The toast pops, and I take it dry. I'm not a fan of butter. I wander back throught to the livingroom. Charlie is still sound asleep.

After I am sitting down with my toast in my armchair, away from Charlie, he begins to stir. He places his strong hands over his eyes, and I admire his muscles. I shake my head as I realise what I am doing, and I feel a blush warm my cheeks. What if he had caught me checking him out? How awkward...

"Ugh, what time is it?" Charlie rasped, with his hands still over his eyes. His voice comes out deep, and I sigh before glancing at the clock.

"12 o'clock exactly," I reply. He removes his hands from his eyes and looks at me. His light brown eyes pierce my dark ones, and I feel my blush become more prominent. He laughs at me. I scowl back at him.

"Aw, it's okay Emily, no need to feel embarrassed," he winks at me. I stare at my toast, trying to ignore the butterflies and the embarrassment. I realise at that moment I want nothing more than to be cradled in his arms again. I sigh. It was a one of thing.

"Emily," he says, and I raise my gaze to his eyes. Those eyes that seem to melt me every time I look into them. The hurt is noticable. "Do you regret last night?"

I look at him baffled. Does he think I wish it had never happened? Oh god...

"No, of course not," I reply. He doesn't look convinced, and the hurt I can see in his eyes is killing me. "No I don't Charlie. I'm just embarrassed. It was my first kiss..." I trail off, admiting that I have never kissed anyone before, and my cheeks flame. He grins, and relief floods his face. I can tell he enjoyed it and wants it to happen again, which makes my heart race.

"Thank god," he laughs. "And I'm flattered to be your first." He winks at me. I smile back awkwardly at him. He just laughs at me.

I inwardly groan and finish my toast, trying not to realise how much tension is in the room. It is going to be difficult to stay partners at work as I realise there is an awful lot of chemistry between us both. I think the next chance he gets, he will take it upon himself to kiss me again, and knowing how much I enjoyed it last night, it will be hard to resist.

"Do you want some toast?" I ask him as I see him looking at the my breakfast. He nods at me and I laugh at him. He looks like a hungry puppy. I stand up to go and make him some, and as I pop the toast into the toaster, I hear him come up behind me. I turn to face him and end up walking straight into his arms. I inhale his scent, and the toast has been forgotten.

A part of me believes this was his plan all along. I feel safe and secure in his arms and I never want to leave the warmth of his body. he pulls away and grins at me.

"The toast is ready," he grins at me, and I scowl before laughing at him. I hand him his toast and he sits to eat it. I go and get dressed, whilst he is doing this. Afterwards we head to his house so he can get fresh clothes.

His house is a bungalow, like mines. He quickly goes in to change, and then we head off to work. The journey is done in silence.

***