Chapter 8 - Uncertainty

Charlie drives me back home after we have been to give Sarah the money. She was astounded by the fact that Eric had caught us and nearly ruined the whole operation, but other than that she was glad she got her money. Doesn't surprise me. As I have said before, she has a tendancy to put other peoples feelings and emotions second to hers.

The whole journey back to my house is a little awkward, which is strange considering the journey back to work had been full of conversation. I have no idea why it is awkward. He keeps smiling at me, and it makes my heart race. I have never experienced something like this before, and it puzzles me. Why can he make my heart race and my breath catch on the way out? Why can he make me feel safe and make my palms go sweaty? Why can he bring a blush to my cheeks when no-one else can?

As we pull into my drive, and he stops the car in front of my small black Ford, he glances at me. I turn to look at him, and I am very aware of the closeness between our faces. I mentally curse myself as he looks worried about me.

"Are you sure you will be okay tonight?" He asks me. "You look terrified and I'm worried about you."

The fact that he is worried about me makes my heart race. What he doesn't know is that I'm terrified of him, and why I seem to like him so much. Mind you, I am also terrified about the idea of sleep as I know that Eric will feature in my dreams like always. He gives me a concerned look, and I force myself to answer. "I-I think I'll be okay," I state, not really believing it myself. I begin to chew my lip, and he notices that I know I'm not going to be okay.

"I'm staying here with you," he states, turning the engine off in his Citron and unbuckling his seat belt. I give him a look filled with panic, and he laughs at my expression. "Don't worry, I wont try anything."

I sigh in relief. I trust him on that remark, so I turn to him and smile letting him know I was okay with it. He sighs.

"Good, I thought I was going to have to force you to let me," he jokes, and I laugh at him.

As we enter my small home, he gazes around, his expression unreadable. I flick on the lights, and tell him to take a seat on the couch. He obeys and I sigh. I ask him if he wants a drink.

"Just a water please," he grins at me. I sigh again as I enter the kitchen. I hear him sigh, and I stand in the doorframe with two glasses in hand. I watch him as he leans back placing his hands on his head. I grin to myself as I look at his muscles, and I shake my head at myself. I realise he turned around he would think I was a stalker.

I have the urge to go and wrap my arms around him to make him feel safe after the shock earlier, but I suppress it. Why on earth do I want to do that?!

I walk forward placing both glasses on the coffee table as I take a seat next to him, and he removes his strong hands from his face, smiling at me. It is a kind smile, but it makes butterflies rise in my stomach. I return his smile, feeling relaxed in his gaze. He grabs the glass, taking a sip, and I imitated him. I grab the remote at the same time and I flick on the TV. The Big Bang Theory comes on and I leave it on, hoping he enjoys the show as much as I do.

"Ah, I didn't know you liked this show," he smirks at me, placing his left arm around my shoulders. I shiver at his touch and glance at him. His face is yet agin inches from mine and I swear he is doing it on purpose.

"I love this show!!" I exclaim. He grins at me, pulling me close so that my head is resting against his shoulder. My heart races as I get comfortable.

"Excellent. Perhaps we have a lot in common," he states. I raise my head to look at his handsome face, and realise his face is a lot closer than I expect it to be. Our noses nearly touch, and I can feel his breath on my face. I'm sure if I could breathe he would be able to feel mines on his. It makes me nervous and giddy.

"Thank you for saving me back then," he whispers, never breaking eye contact with me. "I'm so glad that you did, so that I can get to know you better." I begin to shake as I know what is coming.

I close my eyes before I answer. "I'm glad I did too," I whisper back, feeling the tension in the room. My breath catches on the way out, my palms get sweaty and the feeling of butterflies in my stomach returns. I can feel certain electricity run through us.

He leans in, gently brushing his lips to mine, and I forget how to breathe.

***