Chapter 21 - The Funeral

"Emily may be gone, but she will live on forever in our hearts," the minister said, finishing the service. I hold back tears. They begin to play 'Asleep' by The Smiths. I feel the tears roll down my cheeks as I stand. I look at Sarah. She has openly been sobbing through the whole ceremony. Joseph is trying to hold back tears too. I just feel numb.

We exit the church last. Everyone from the office came, but I see no family members of Emily's. This makes me sad as I realise I have never asked her about her family, and I mentally curse myself. Just another thing I will never find out.

We walk over to the grave that has been freshly dug for her. We made sure it was right next to Joe's grave. It just seemed appropriate.

The coffin is slowly placed into the grave. I begin to sob harder now, the realisation sinking in that I never will get to see her again. I never will get to see that unconventionally beautiful face ever again. I never will get to kiss those soft lips ever again. I never will get to hold her in my arms ever again.

The realisation is too much and I sink to my knees on the ground. Sarah sinks down too and she hugs me, crying into my blazer.

"Charlie, what are we going to do without her?" she whispers between sobs. I just shrug, not able to form words.

The coffin slowly gets covered in dirt, and everyone begins to leave. I can't move. I'm numb, and I just wish I could be in that coffin with her forever. I can't bare to think about life without her, even if she wasn't fully there all the time. It didn't matter to me. Her existance was enough.

"Charlie, Sarah, we better go," Joseph says after what seems like forever. I look at him and nod. Being here is making it worse. I slowly stand, pulling Sarah up along with me. "I better drive."

We leave, heading to his car. I stop and turn my head back to look at her grave. Thoughts run through my head about how I could have saved her if I was just there on time, if I hadn't tried my luck.

If things were different.

"I'm sorry, Emily," I say as I walk off.

I doubt I will be back to visit anytime soon.

***

A/N: Short ending!! I hoped you liked it anyway. Thanks for sticking with Emily's story, I appreciate it a lot!!!

x