27.

"Are you okay?" I asked for the third time I think since the birthday party ended and he offered to help me clean up. "Ethan?" I called his name when he didn't answer me.

I had to go over and touch him seeing that he had a lost look in his eyes. He blinks coming back to the real world. I frowned.  This is unusual behavior for him I've never seen him so lost before. Something must be up with him but what.

"What's the matter? You've been staring into space for the past five minutes." What's up with him? He looked fine and now all of a sudden he looks lost.

He sighed throwing a smile my way as he rubbed the back of his neck. "I'm just tired that's all. I think I'll call it a day and go home."

"Okay," I was still unconvinced that it's tiredness but I'll let him believe that I don't see through him. Something is bothering but what. "I'll walk you out." I offered to put down the cups on the table.

He opened the door and I go out after him holding the doorknob. "Ethan," I called out to him before he could leave. He stopped turning around letting me know that he's paying attention. "Thank you... I just wanted to thank you for forgiving me a chance and everything and I knew that things could have gone differently so thank you for not acting the way I thought you would have acted." 

He smiled briefly before leaving. I crossed my arms over my chest watching him leave before I close the door behind me.

...

I was itching to get to the cashier and get out of the supermarket or else I'll be late to pick up my daughter. I don't want that to occur for the second time this week. I could call my mother but she'll nag about it saying I should just hire a driver to do that. That call would take more time than me standing in this long line watching the cashier take his time slowly scanning one item. I glanced at my watch groaning in my head cursing at the cashier to go any faster.

"Hey man can you go a little faster, I don't have all day you know." The man behind me spoke up getting impatient. Some others mumbled in agreement and everyone started complaining.

Snapping out of his laziness he started scanning and cashing the things faster. I glanced at my watch. It's been five minutes since her school has been dismissed and it would take me five minutes to get out of the parking lot and 10 minutes to get to her school and that's depending on the traffic.

I'm definitely going to be late and she's going to give me that disappointing look and then the silent treatment. Taking my phone out of my bag after putting the grocery bags in the trunk.

"Hello?"

"Ethan could you pick up Ann from school. I forgot to go grocery shopping and I'm running late and I don't think that I would be able to reach there on time," I told him shutting down the car trunk coming around the side of the driver's side. When I bumped into someone and from the collision, I could tell that it's a man.

It's a good thing that I didn't lose my balance or fall on my butt from the crash. Thankfully I avoided this embarrassment and swiftly apologize to the person.

I got in my car and drove off. I let out a sigh as I pull into the driveway dropping my head on the steering wheel but instead it pressed on the horn. I jumped up startled. Shit.

I slouch in the car seat. I've been tired and I can feel the feeling of depression coming over me at this moment. Since lately I can't concentrate.