24.

I put the candle in the cupcake then light it. I took it up holding my hand up to the light. Walking into her room I started singing.

"Happy Birthday too you, " I sang my smile bright.

She woke up sitting up in bed rubbing the sleep out of her eyes. Her eyes widened, shining brighter that the morning sun, her smile big her teeth showing.

I continued to sing. "Happy Birthday too you."

I was standing at her bedside now with the cupcake in my hand singing happily to her. "Happy Birthday sweetie, " I said with a cheesy mother smile. She smiles blows out the candle when I hold it out to her and whispered to her to make a wish.

"Now tell mommy what you wish for, " I asked. She only smiled shaking her head.

"If I tell you then it won't happen, " she said secretive.

"Okay, " I kissed her on the forehead.

"Thank you mommy, " she said hugging me. I hugged her with my empty hand her head resting on my chest. "I love you mommy, " she added.

"Mommy love you too honey, " I told her kissing her again on the forehead. "Now eat your cupcake and lets get you ready for school, " I added.

She groaned. "Do I have to?" She whines. "It's my birthday today so that means I get a day off, " she claims.

"No you don't little miss, " I said touching her nose that is now covered in icing. She huffed but I only laughed, she looks so adorable with a pout trying to look stubborn about it. I smeared icing on her nose laughing. It didn't take long for her to join laughing along with me.

"I love you Mom," she said smiling.

"I love you too honey," I kissed her on the forehead then left her room after picking out her clothes for school and placing them on the bed.

I buckled her into the car seat making sure that it is secured before opening the driver's door. I drop her off at school wishing her a good day then driving off to work.

Hours later I stop in front of her school. She runs towards the car opened the door getting in and waving to her friends outside. I wait until she is buckled in before I drove away from the school. It will take about 15 minutes to reach home that should give them ample time to finish up what I left them to do and hide to surprise my baby once we are there.

Fifteen minutes later I am parking the car in my driveway getting out of the car then locking it once Chrissann gets out. She walks behind me as I search in my bag for the keys in my bag to unlock the door.

"Can I go over Morgan?" she asked.

"No, not before doing your homework."

She groaned. "Homework on my birthday, today is my special day and I do deserve a break," she crosses her arms frowning.

I smiled. How could I not? She's so cute with her arms cross pouting like that. It was tempting to pinch her cheeks and cooed at her.

You would think I wasn't talking to a 6 year old. I opened the door dropping the keys in the dish on top of the table near the door.

"Really?"

Before I could get a response from her  we were interrupted by people shouting happy birthday.

She was surprised indeed then those wide eyes and her mouth that was hanging open turned into bright eyes with happiness and a wide smile.

She collides with my front hugging me tight. "I love you Mom! You're the best!" She exclaimed.

Her joy was just as infectious as any disease because in that moment I shared that with her with a smile stretching my face hugging her.

When I release her she turns around to the small crowd in the living room running off when she saw two faces that she hasn't seen in a while.

"Grandma! Grandpa!" She exclaimed.

My mother lifts her up kissing her on the cheek wishing her a happy birthday. Mother puts her down and she didn't waste any time running upstairs.

I greet my parents, my neighbors and other close family members that could make it for this one day.

There was one person I didn't see as yet. "Where's Ethan?"

My mother frown still not liking that I had a child for Ethan and he didn't step up to marry me but this is the 21st century.

"He said he would be a little late," dad answer instead.

"Okay."

As long as he is coming I have no problem that he's going to be late. He's been putting a lot of effort in his daughters life.
.
.
.

The party was outside in the backyard. It was decorated in a princess theme with balloons and streamers.

Everyone was here now enjoying the birthday party except one person and that was Ethan.

"I'll get it!"

I opened the front door to come face to face with Ethan. "I thought you weren't going to make it."

"I'm sorry I'm late." I opened the door wide enough for him to enter and that's when I notice that he wasn't alone.

"Lizzie?" I was surprise to see her, Ethan didn't tell me that she was going to come. "I didn't know you were gonna be here but it's nice to see you again."

"It's nice to see you again too Crystal."

There was brief silence between us before I break it inviting them in. "Well come in, the party is around the back," I told them closing the door once they are inside.

I walk behind them speaking up I said. "Are you guys staying at a hotel? I asked.

"Yeah, the one about forty minutes from here," it was Lizzie that answered.

"Oh." I lead them to the backyard leaving them to look for Chrissann to tell her that her father is here. I bet she would love to see him right now.

I found her playing around with her peers. I called her telling her that her father is here. She didn't waste anytime running towards me. I held her hand leading her to where I left her father and his girlfriend.

"Daddy!" She squealed letting go off my hands as soon as she spotted her father. He picked his daughter up spinning her around then kissing her all over her face. She squealed and giggle.

I stand aside watching them interact with each other. It brings a smile to my face seeing them like this.

"She's cute." Someone comments and I look to my side to see Lizzie too watching the scene. She turns to me. "You have such a beautiful daughter."

"Thank you," I replied not knowing what else to say to that.

Nothing else was spoken between us.

"There's no hard feeling between us is there, it was a really long time ago and there is nothing going on between us or will there ever be, it's in the past and that's where it will stay," I said trying to clear the air between us. I turned to look at her and she was doing the same. "Friends?" I asked holding out my hand for a handshake.

I could see that she was thinking about what I just said. Seconds pass before she said anything. I was about to drop my hands thinking she didn't want to be friends with me, the mother of her boyfriend's child.

"Friends," she said taking my hand and shaking it. She smiled a kind smile telling me she's willing to be friends with me to make things between us less awkward.