04 | Connected Nightmares

CHAPTER FOUR : CONNECTED NIGHTMARES

"So," Evie started as she sat down opposite her husband at his desk. "How did she get on?"

The day had shifted into night fast. Students retired to their dorms to sleep and now only a few teachers were left awake. These being Hank, Charles and Evie. As always, Hank was down in his lab which left the couple to sit and talk to each other. It was the small things like this that Charles loved.

Charles smiled as he pulled out her paper, handing it to his wife so that she could read it. "Olivia passed with flying colours." He told her proudly. "Maybe we should let her study with Jean more often."

"Jean is a good influence on our little hero, that's for sure." Evie responded as she scanned through the paper, seeing almost every answer having full marks.

The telepath nodded in agreement, his eyes trailing from the paper to his wife. "How are you? Are you sleeping better?" He asked softly which made Evie smile. Her wellbeing was always Charles' top priority, much like his with Evie - but it was small questions like that which reminded Evie why she loved him so much.

Charles loved the little things and so did Evie.

"The insomnia is almost gone but the PTSD is still there." She informed him, her smile turning into a small frown.

"I have a strong feeling that it will be there for a while." Charles admitted, rounding the table so that he could be closer to her. Delicately, he picked up her hand and brought it to his lips, kissing it gently.

Evie went to make a remark when a small, scared voice called out, "Professor?"

The Xaviers turned to see a young blonde girl holding the door open, shaking and eyes filled with terror. "Freya? What are you doing awake?" Charles asked in concern, feeling Evie shift in the seat next to him.

"She's doing it again." Freya stated, clutching herself. Evie sighed heavily and walked over to the girl, picking her up in her arms.

The building shook which sent Evie off balance slightly. Books were thrown off the shelves, pens rattled in their holders, the windows cracked ever so slightly. The shaking stopped instantaneously but the effects remained and this made everyone terrified. Charles and Evie shared worried glances before leaving the study to try and control the situation.

Hank joined the two rather quickly, explaining that he had felt it in the lab below the school as well. Evie let Freya run back to her room and told her to get the other students in their rooms and that she was being very brave. As they arrived on Jean's floor, all the students were out of their rooms and whispering to each other.

"Back to bed, please, everyone." Charles told the students softly, making sure not to alarm them. Subtlety, Charles placed two fingers on his head and whispered into his wife's head, "Darling, go check on Olivia please?"