Chapter 20

Sarah sat at her desk. It was still early and Tania wasn't there yet. I can't believe I need my assistant to tell me what I need to do. She crumpled onto her chair and waited for Tania to arrive. After about ten minutes she heard heels outside her door. She opened it and saw Tania putting her purse under her desk and then pulling her chair to sit down.

Sarah emerged from her office. "Good morning," she said in what sounded like a whisper. Since Tania didn't turn, Sarah cleared her throat and spoke louder. "Good morning Tania."

"Oh hi," Tania smiled. "Good morning." Then she narrowed her eyebrows. Her boss didn't have the habit of stopping by to say good morning. "May I help you with something?"

"Er, yes, yes," Sarah replied. She felt her cheeks go red. Suddenly she was overly aware of who was in the office already and who could see her. "Um, what is due today?"

The question made her feel stupid. Her whole life she had managed multiple projects at once effortlessly, and now she needed her assistance to direct her work. Moreover, whatever was due in the day would usually be done weeks in advance, not last minute.

Tania looked at her with a raised eyebrow. "Um, I don't remember from the top of my head. Give me a minute, to log in to my computer. And I'll come to your office."

"Yes, sure, totally," Sarah said and walked back into her office. She looked at the time. It was already twenty past nine, and she was certain she needed to get something done.

Tania walked back in with a piece of paper in her hand. "Let's see," she said while pulling the chain in front of Sarah's desk. "Two projects need your signature of approval today." She bit her lower lip. "There is one project that was due last week. I am so sorry. It most likely slipped my mind."

Sarah nodded although she knew Tania was simply helping her save face. "Ok I'll have those three folders please."

Tania nodded and handed her the piece of paper, "You already have them in the pile. Here are their details. Do you want my help looking for them?"

"No, I'll look them up," Sarah blushed. "I probably overlooked it." Both knew that it was all Sarah's responsibility to keep her documents organized.

"Also, I took the liberty of adding three more folders. Two are due tomorrow and one is due on Wednesday," Tania offered.

Sarah felt her face grow even hotter. Now she had to be told in advance what she needed to do.

"Thank you Tania," She whispered.

Tania nodded and left. Sarah sighed loudly. She looked through the pile and found the documents she needed. When she opened the first folder, her mouth opened wide. "Oh my God," she whispered. She hadn't even started working on it. "Oh my God," she repeated, banging the table with her fist. I can't get all of this done today, not even if I work the entire day.

She scrambled for ideas, but nothing was good enough. Lastly there was only one thing she could do, ask for an extension. It shouldn't be such a big deal, but it was.

Shyly she stepped out of her office holding the folders to her chest. Her intention was to go to her boss' office, but the first thing she saw sent her into an unexpected panic. Damon was standing by the printer talking with Tania, too close. He was just a few feet away from touching her hair. Sarah felt her stomach drop, and her skin go pale. She swallowed hard and stood perplexed in place. Damon was smiling broadly as he used to do when he visited her office. We don't have anything anymore. Let it go. It was easier however to think it than to feel it. The most strange and possessive jealousy took over. She felt the impulse to throw a tantrum and make a scene but reminded herself that she couldn't do that. She was at work. Damon and she had broken up. And she was Tania's boss; she couldn't behave like that in front of a subordinate. I can make her life hell at least. Wait what am I thinking? Of course not!