Chapter 11

"What do you mean your dreams come true?" Damon narrowed his eyes and leaned forward.

"Precisely that," Sarah bit her lower lip and stared intently.

"You mean you have premonitions in your sleep?" He tipped his head to the side.

"I guess you could call it that," Sarah said still staring intently, waiting for his reaction.

"Wow, I mean that sounds," He crossed his arms across his chest, "This is huge."

"That day when you woke up with spiders in your bed," she said leaning forward and lowering her voice slightly. "I dreamed that would happen. I mean I didn't know it would happen to you. But I dreamed it happened to me."

She took a look at Damon and saw him fumbling with a napkin, his chin down and gaze lost.

"I know it sounds crazy. There are a lot more dreams," Sarah said. "Right before my dream with spiders I also dreamed a dog was killed by a careless driver, and guess what it happened just few hours later."

"Um," Damon took a sip of water, and left the wine cup to the side.

"I had more dreams," Sarah continued. "There were some that meant nothing and some that meant a lot." She noticed Damon nodding dismissively and avoiding eye contact. She then stopped abruptly and gave him few minutes to collect his thoughts.

"Is this why you were seeing a therapist? Or I don't know, I guess you still are," he asked with a serious face. His brows were narrowed together.

"Kinda," Sarah replied. Is it the right moment to talk about it all? "Well it all started years ago, there was this one dream I had twenty years ago, and let's just say that it was very hard to handle it. It was the reason my marriage ended and I lost custody of y daughter, and then I started taking prescription pills."

"Wait you have a daughter?"He gasped.

"Yes, her name is Jessica. I haven't seen her in a decade. She must be a teenager now," Sarah said with a thundering heart. Holy shit, I told him.

Damon was silent and keeping his gaze on the napkin in his hands. Sarah tried to patiently give him the time he needed to process all the information. Clumsily in one jerky grasp she grabbed the wine cup and took a large sip.

"Wuuu," she exclaimed. "I can't believe the things I have told you. These are things I have never mentioned outside of my therapist's office. I have struggled even telling him."

He nodded with a serious gaze, keeping his eyes focused on the napkin and biting his lips.

"You also were married, how long ago was that? Why you never had children?" She tried to change the mood of the moment and take the spotlight away from her. Even though she knew well enough how long ago he divorced, and that he had decided not to have children.

He didn't answer the question. "I am sorry, this is just," he mimicked with his hands an explosion happening in his head. "Your marriage failed because of the dreams?"

Sarah stared in disbelief with red cheeks. She shook her head. "NO, IT DID NOT. I didn't cause my divorce; we just were at a place where we couldn't meet each other needs. This is not on me."

"Why did you lose custody?" he inquired staring intently.

She felt her entire face going red. "I, um," She hasn't predicted he would get so bold so suddenly considering he had been very patient and hadn't asked much of her.

"I guess you can't answer that, can you?" He raised one eyebrow and twisted his mouth.

"Um?" she narrowed her eyes and felt heaviness in her stomach.

"And I guess you can't also tell me what was that dream that was so bad that it ruined your marriage. Oh wait, it's not your fault, right!" He nodded and looked away in discomfort.

"What in the hell is wrong with you?" her face felt even warmer than before.

"ME? Sarah these are real issues you are talking about. I am putting all my effort in understanding you but you can't be delusional and avoid responsibility. What is that bullshit about premonitory dreams? Are you even for real?" His eyes were hard and cold as she had never seen before, like the tip of darts that were ripping her hearth apart.

She felt her mouth fall open and her hands and feet gone cold. Suddenly, her entire body felt cold. A deep sense of sorrow invaded her. All color drained from her face, and she could feel her chin starting to tremble. Few tears started pooling in her eyes.

"Damon, my dreams are real," she whispered.

"Yeah right," he whispered back as people started to turn around. "You know what's real, that you are avoiding the responsibility over your failed marriage and blaming it on dreams. I mean, for fucks sake, listen to yourself. You lost your daughter."

She didn't mean to, but she couldn't stop herself from raising her hand and throwing her open palm across his face. The sound was loud and few people, including him, gasped in surprise.

"How dare you," she said, and felt tears streaming down her eyes.

"Don't ever touch me again," he stood up and opened his wallet with trembling hands. In a jerky move, he threw some money on the table. "There is enough for your taxi." He walked away heading for the door.

Sarah stood from the table and chased after him. "I spoke to a woman in my dream and we agreed to meet tomorrow at a coffee shop close by. Why don't you follow me and see for yourself I wasn't lying. See for yourself how stupid you were to not believe me and lose me tonight." He walked until he got to the front door. "See for yourself how much of a mistrustful dickhead you are."

He shook his hands in the air and left. Sarah felt her entire face wet with tears. She took a look around and saw the big audience that was staring. She crossed her arms around her chest and held back the tears. She felt so naked and vulnerable. She had opened up to the man she felt she could trust, only to be deceived. She wanted to build something real with him and felt it was mutual. "The money is on the table," she told the hostess and walked out in a rush. Her shoulders slumping forward, and her skin feeling cold, she stood in the sidewalk waiting for a taxi and holding back the river that was eager to stream down her eyes.