"aww, how cute. you truly are a wonderful little girl.."

words could not describe how uncomfortable you felt in this situation. "thank you, sir."

with growing unease, your chopping sped up, the blade of the sharp, stone knife coming dangerously close to slicing off your nail a few times. you worked like a machine, gathering up the minced carrot and sliced broccoli and dumping them into the pot of boiling water as if you were programmed.

cioccolata watched with curiosity as you hurredly ran over to the spice cabinet and pulled out salt, pouring a small amount into your hand and tossing it into the pot. "why'd you do that?"

"a small amount of salt helps water heat up faster."

"really?" he tilted his head. "i didnt know that..."

"one would assume you wouldnt know much about cooking since youre more involved with doctoral occupancies."

cioccolata rose from his seat, walking into the kitchen with a skip in his step and an obviously surprised expression on his face. "well, its not like you know much about the medical field since you were only a sous chef, my dear."

you grasped your large stone knife into your hand once more, skinning the scales off of some salmon you had thawed moments earlier. "sorry to ruin your day, sir, but youre wrong. i was actually a working nurse for some time, as well as a bank teller."

he let out a low, impressed wolf whistle, eyeing your skirt as it fluttered upward for a moment as you ran to grab more seasoning. "wow, you really got around, eh?"

"when your dad works in one of lowest paying jobs someone could get, you have to compromise. my mom worked a bit, too. she never told me what she did, but she always somehow came home with handfuls of hundred dollars of bills."

"sounds like youve been working since you were very young."

"i appreciate the experience i got from it." you hummed in response, clicking your tongue. 

then all was silent. the water in the pot continued to bubble, almost teetering over the ledge a few times before surrendering to your threatening glare. salt, pepper, and a variety of other spices would sprinkle onto raw salmon, butter drizzling over the top of each slab of fish before they were thrown into the oven to cook.

pushing your glasses back up your nose, you decided to get work on the riced vegetables once more, finding the carrots and broccoli to be almost finished. luckily, you only had to dice up the cauliflower and youd be done with the side dish. swiftly plucking the white head of the vegetable from the drawer in the fridge, you whipped out a thinner, smaller stone knife than before, cutting off the stalk and tearing up the smaller heads of cauliflower til they could be minced properly.

once that was all done, the small portions of vegetable were then dumped into the frothing pot of steaming water, waiting to become soft like the carrots and broccoli. cioccolata walked up behind you, looming over your head to peer down at the boiling pot. "say, why are you cutting up all those vegetables just to boil them?"

 quickly shuffling over to the sink, you turned on the tap and pumped some soap onto your hands. "im trying to make them warm so they go down easier with the salmon. if you would like, i can fry your portion instead."

"thats quite alright, sweetheart. i was just curious, that's all. speaking of me being curious, why do you use stone knives instead of metal ones? arent metal knives stronger and sharper?"

"yes, metal knives are better in those ways, but stone knives last longer, look better, and dont rust. the worst that can happen is them breaking apart, and even then, that can be fixed." you replied, drying off your hands and brushing off your apron. "these were also my favorite set of knives when i worked in my old restaurant, too, you know. i couldn't bear to part with them, so i took them with me when i left."