Chapter 22: Wounds part 2

Lanzhan's version

Despite his angry protests, Lanzhan was dragged away from the main hall. He had his hands chained and the more he resisted the more the guards would hit him. He had to muster all he had to calm down and think of a solution. Yet Weiying's resolute face flashed by.

"I'll do it myself.. But please send him away."

Weiying... What are you planning to do? Why did you have to send me away. Are you planning to let them humiliate you like that? I can't allow it.. You're my wife and I must protect you.

Why was it more humiliating for me to see it. You would rather they see it and not me? Lanzhan was getting angry.

They threw him in the dark cell and took off the chains in his hands. At least they had the decency to do so. There he waited. He presumed that after they finished with him, he would be thrown here as well, then they would finally meet. Calm down. If Weiying confidently sent him away, he must have had his own reasons and he must learn to trust him more.

It was about a sichen (2 hours) later that they dragged another body in the cell. He had his clothes torn off his body and his skin was covered in wounds. Lanzhan looked up, suddenly alert as the guards fiddled with the lock in his cell. It was a while later he realized why.

The man had beautiful skin, yet in a horrible condition with all the wounds plastered over. He was thrown face down like a piece of gunsack right by his feet. His hair was a mess, covering his face. After a good while of contemplating, he finally turned the body over. Slowly lifted the hairs covering his face. A familiar beauty greeted him. His eyes were closed tight, his lips were charred and bleeding, probably from gritting his lips due to the pain. Lanzhan felt his heart sank and his knees weakened, like a landslide full of heavy rocks fell onto his whole body, crushing his bones mercilessly. The Wen dogs had left Weiying in his most distressing state right in front of Lanzhan.

Despite the agony in his heart and the endless self deprecation for failing to protect the one most important person to him, he had to stay sane and alert. He needed to save his life.

Lanzhan peeled away his outer robe and draped it onto Weiying's body. He then demanded water and medicine from the guards. They had ignored him for a good while until he made enough ruckus, to which they beat him up some more, before finally giving him what he wanted on the grounds that the prisoner must stay alive or their clan would be wiped off by the Lan family down to their descendants.

After that, he cleaned Weiying's wounds carefully. After the dirt had been wiped off his face, his beauty shone once more. Lanzhan placed his wet fingers to wet Weiying's lips. The water disappeared quickly, yet the pair of eyes remained closed. Better be closed he thought. Weiying would freak out if he saw him do what he did.

This was not what he envisioned seeing his wife's body for the first time. He had never been conscious about his sexuality until this very moment where his doubts for several weeks had been confirmed. The body in front of him was male from head to toe. He wondered that it was destiny that they ended up as husband and wife. Yes that must be it. Destiny. As to the current predicament, he found himself not the slightest bit repulsed by what he saw. Even when he cleaned in between his legs, his hands only shuddered and his heart beat slightly faster in fear that Weiying would suddenly woke up and caught him doing something forbidden.

He thought it a little silly that since they were married, the first time he saw his wife's body was in a dark cell on an enemy's land.

Weiying, when you wake up, I'll make this right for you.

Weiying had nightmares and Lanzhan held him close, worrying if he was too cold.

"Weiying.. you're shivering. Stay awake!" The voice commanded.