Chapter 6: Lanzhan likes my bow

The next day

"Wait Aying, Stop!!! Where do you think you are you going all by yourself? Get someone to go with you!! You can't go out by yourself!" Naima shouted saw Weiying sneaking through the front door holding a huge bag. In those days, it was a common social norm that women do not walk the streets by herself.

"I'll be back soon Naima. Don't ask Mingyu or anyone else to follow me! Ask her to cover for me instead"

With that, he dashed off out of sight.

"Weiying!!! At least wear a disguise!!! It's improper for a young lady to be seen out and about by herself. Think about your parent's and your reputation!"

As expected. Weiying did not bother turning around. Mingyu took an hour everyday to dress her up in the mornings and it would be too much trouble to erase his make up and change into a boy's clothes. Furthermore, everyone would recognize him as Yuxian and Yuxian was supposed to have already gone back to his hometown.

"Naima, have you seen young mistress?"

Naima looked at Mingyu and patted her shoulders. Your young mistress left the manor on her own again.

"What?!? Where did she go? I'm going after her."

"Okay take this with you. Naima gave her a money pouch. I didn't see her taking hers."

Naima sighed remembering the countless times Weiying snuck out of the house and Mingyu tried to find Weiying but came back empty handed and Weiying would arrive at the manor before she does.

However, this time she had to be extra careful since Weiying could no longer use Yuxian's identity or he would be drafted into imperial military school.

Weiying went to the training ground once more and found that Lanzhan was not there. So he went to the back hills and soon spotted the familiar figure in white attempting to shoot a bird with the worn out bow.

Weiying observed for a while and found that Lanzhan's skills were actually pretty decent given that his bow was below standard. Weiying noticed that the earth was wet with the rain from yesterday. But since he wanted a better look, he tiptoed and balanced himself on a rock. He regretted not going in his male disguise. His female wear was way too inconvenient for this type of activity. Adding to that, women's shoes were also quite uncomfortable to wear. It made him unable to walk quickly.

He recalled naima used to say women's shoes was naturally made that way so the girls would walk pretty. Soon the slippery earth underneath his feet gave way and Weiying unexpectedly slid and fell in front of the man himself.

"Ouch.." he exclaimed. The young man in white approached the lady dressed in a beautiful blue dress. Are you okay miss? The young man stretched out his hand to help the young lady who fell in front of him. She was holding a huge package covered with black cloth.

Weiying took his hand and got up, tidying himself. He was about to call out the boy's name but realized he may not be recognized in this get up.

"Umm.. thank you sir. Are you Lanwangji by the way?" Weiying asked looking up at the boy's handsome face.

The boy looked at Weiying and was slightly stunned by her beauty. He had never talked to any maiden in such close proximity before.

"Umm.. Yes. How do you know me?"

"In that case, here..." Weiying handed him the bulky black bag he had been carrying. Lanzhan looked at Weiying's dress and noticed the materials were of high quality that was commonly worn by someone of a noble status but he was confused why a noble lady would personally deliver something to him. Did she not have servants for that?