Chapter 17: Man in the silver mask

"Thank you daozhang for saving us. How do we address you?"

"I'm just wandering soldier who got separated from my troops. I was looking for someone. You can call me ZiChen."

"I'm Yuxian. I work for minister Wei."

"Ah?"

The masked man turned to look at him, studying his expressions. Yet his gaze was hidden underneath his mask.

The other man looked at Weiying then started sobbing again. Thinking that the outcry was directed at him, Weiying felt somewhat guilty.

"This is heavens will. We are all cursed!!"

Weiying massaged his temples.

"I know. We failed. We've worked so hard all summer doing the preparations. Frankly speaking I have no idea why this bad flood happened."

"Its not your fault. You did your best." The masked man said. His voice gentle.

After he calmed down a little, the guy who was saved by Weiying introduced himself as Shushe. He was a local farmer and he had lost his home in the flood. He did not say anything about his family.

"Daozhang, do you think we are the only ones in this cave? Wouldn't it be better that we check the insides out to make sure there are no wild beasts here."

The man clutched his belongings and was either crying or jumpy. He seemed paranoid. Weiying thought his behavior was probably a reaction from the disaster.

Following Shushe's suggestions, the three of them entered the depths of the cave. It appeared to be a regular cave with stone walls. In the distance, Weiying could hear trickling of water. They followed the sound and reached a clearing where the ceiling was higher. A pond stood in the middle of the clearing. The masked man touched the water and it was warm.

This was a hot spring pool cave. There were a few of them scattered in this part of the kingdom.

"This looks like a good place to rest for the night." Said the masked man.

The masked man and Shushe began gathering twigs around the cave and made fire. Weiying put stones around the twigs to reinforce it.

After being lit up, Weiying looked at the masked man under the light of the fire. He had on a silvery mask that covered his eyes. The mask was made of a thin piece of metal adorned with beautiful carvings on its silvery surface. Weiying had never seen a mask as beautiful. He thought that surely this Xichen was not someone simple.

"Daozhang why do you wear a mask?"

Unable to contain his curiosity any longer, Weiying finally asked him.

"I have a scar on my face so I've always had it on"

Hearing the reply, Weiying was disinclined to probe..

Shushe began taking off his wet clothing and hung it on the rock, the plunged himself into the pool to clean himself.

The masked man took off his wet outer robe and began drying it on the fire. The orange flames danced in the dark cave creating bright light patches in his eyes. The other guy was silently cleaning himself in the pool. Soon, Zichen soaked in the pool as well. The scene from before had caused them grief and they had silently mourned in their own way.

"Are you coming to join us too daozhang?" asked Shushe.

Weiying felt that his wet clothes were uncomfortable and was tempted to bathe in the pool as well. Yet he was raised as a female and he had never shared a bath with anyone.