Chapter 10: This jade hairpin is so beautiful

It wasn't until the dowry arrived that Weiying finally had a sense of what he truly was getting into. The dowry was unlike anything the kingdom had ever seen before.

Eight chests full of gold, an army of horses, a chest full of silk fabrics and another was full of exotic furs. There were calligraphy sets made of jade handles, golden hair crowns embedded with precious stones and the list went on.

Just how rich was the Lan family? Weiying felt that this glittering gimmicks was too much, his heart felt heavy. The dowry only showed the Lans were bent on properly marrying him. The value of the dowry or bride price usually determined how much the other party looked up to the bride and bride's family and this type of absurd dowry was no joke. Besides giving face to the bride's family, lavish dowry also spelled nothing but status and that was how the wealthy display sincerity-Through exorbitant money spending and also precious items. The Lans made sure not to lose face. His chest tightened and he felt suffocated.

For all his life he had been fighting it but that day, he had actually wished he was a woman instead. If his real identity was blown then the result would be unimaginable. They could charge him and his whole family for treason and deceit. After all, Lanzhan's mother was the sister of the current king.

Weiying felt chill in his spine.

At that time, Commander of the Imperial Army Lanhongde was drinking tea with his father in their main hall.

Mingyu came into the room and was busy dolling Zhan up to meet with his future husband and parents in law.

Weiying's face was pale as death. Like all his blood had been drained and squeezed dry. He sighed deeply.

"Young mistress.. Why the dark face? Are you nervous?"

He wondered if the maidens who were about to marry would feel this way.

Laughter could be heard from behind the screen. It was his father's voice and another man's, probably Lanhongde. His mother was also chatting away with Lanzhan's mom.

She entered the main hall and all eyes were on her.

"Ahh.. This is my daughter Weiying"

Weiying performed the ceremonial greetings toward his future father in law, mother in law and husband to be.

"Woww.. Your daughter Weiying is indeed a natural beauty. No wonder Lanwangji is so taken in by her."

"Yes yes. Lanwangji did have a good eye!!" Lanhongde beamed. Seemingly satisfied with what he saw.

"Weiying, would you show Langongzi around the house?" His father said.

"Yes father."

So the both of them left their parents who were engrossed in talking to eachother like old friends. In truth, their parents had known each other for a good few decades. Lanhongde was comrades with Weiming since their early days of expeditions together. Weiming would focus on flood control and Lanhongde on his peacekeeping and national defence. On the other hand, their mothers often met during official banquets that had been held throughout the years thus they were definitely familiar with eachother. They had no shortage of topics to indulge in conversation with one another and preferred to send their kids away to let them have their own privacy as well.

It had been two years since they saw each other. Lanwangji had grown taller and more dashing. He wore a beautiful sky blue robe with silver embroidery painted around the collars sleeves and skirting. Weiying stared at the man who was going to marry him. He looked at Weiying and smiled. Weiying smiled back, trying his best to be polite while swallowing back all his inner turmoil.