16

As Gabriel had said, the place where Loki was saying wasn't too far from their original location. The four rode silently in Baby, the only sounds to be heard coming from the radio and the Impala's engine.

(Y/n) thought about what she had sworn upon herself all those years ago. Leaving the hunting life for good and never touching a weapon again, unless it was self-defense...

Knowing what would happen after killing Loki, the doors to hunting would open for her again, whether she liked it or not. There was no going back to her promise, no matter how much she wanted to head to Gabriel's promised condo in New York, (Y/n) had wanted to experience the city life, there was nothing either of them could do.

Well, there is the option of running away. Running away is always an option. Albeit at this point, (Y/n) sort of wanted to stay with her brothers. With the mention of her mother being alive, Sam and Dean slowly accepting her 'living' again. Running away may have been an option before, but it was quickly crossed out.

"So, if (Y/n)'s not gonna fight, why's she coming in with us?" Dean's question had no offense hidden in his words. He was being serious. "Couldn't she stay at the motel where she won't have to do anything if something happens?"

Gabriel looked at his soulmate, seeing if she would want to speak, but she shook her head, leaving him to explain it. "If she had stayed at the motel by herself. Something could've snatched her, and I wouldn't be able to swoop in as her usual knight in shining armor."

Sam eyed the two in the backseat using the mirror. "Still, if she's not going to fight, should she at least stay in the car? I doubt anything close by would want to get her in here."

There was silence after the next comment. The idea was a good one, in its own way, but there was a mere problem with it as well.

"I can't leave her on her own for a while," Gabriel said. "I've been out and about while she's been at the motel. We need to be side-by-side for a bit... that's why I gave her that stick of wood. She'll only use it if it's absolutely necessary."

There were consequences to the smallest actions and choices made when soulmates were separated.

Mostly, it depends on what is done.

In Gabriel and (Y/n)'s situation, both needed to stay together for a long time, needing to make up for the seven years of separation. But, the ex-hunter refused to fight, meaning when it came to killing off Loki and his sons, bringing her along wasn't the best decision.

The consequence of not having (Y/n) by his side while fighting the 'demigods' was a form of separation anxiety, at least for (Y/n). If Gabriel hadn't shown up when Sam and Dean had entered their motel room, they most likely would've seen their sister in a ball and crying, or- worst-case scenario, passed out on her bed.

"So, what, she's going to be by your side while you kill Loki? Is that- wouldn't that be putting her in even more danger?" Sam turned around in his seat, fully facing the two.

Gabriel shrugged. "She's most likely going to trail behind us, edge away from the 'danger'. If (Y/n) doesn't want to fight, that makes her vulnerable. So, her being in the back, away from the fighting, is our best bet."

The end of his sentence said: "This is final, drop it. We already had this planned out before."

Both Sam and Dean hoped that the soulmates' plan would go through as well as they said it would...

But when does a Winchester ever get what they truly hope for?