~ 35 ~

~ Chapter Thirty Five ~

The light from the few glowing stones lying around somewhere beneath our feet, casted a lovely glow onto the water. The droplets glistened as they momentarily floated in the air. Inside the tiny droplets, I noticed items. Some of them held rocks of various sizes, while others contained books. Amongst them I spy something glowing white. It was  on my far left, lighting the dark space.

I instinctively knew that it was the ring. I looked over at the siren, who happened to notice the ring as well. She smiled creepily as she dropped her body and began to crawl towards it.

I turned over, ready to get up, when I realized my left leg was buried beneath from the surrounding rocks. I remained seated and looked up in despair. Kaene had managed to defeat the sirens with Ruby. Now they both held onto limp dragon bodies as Kaene attempted to make a hole through the ceiling.

They're too distracted to notice me... and I don't want to call out to them. I've betrayed their hospitality by bringing their enemies to their front door. Why should they help me?

I need to rectify this on my own. So with all the strength I had in me, I pulled and pulled to get my left leg free. I even used my right foot to push against the surrounding rocks to give me momentum. I grumbled until I was screaming out in both frustration and pain.

I felt the sharp edges from the rocks scraping against my skin, ripping the flesh as I released myself. I fell backwards huffing and puffing. I glanced down and saw blood oozing out. I closed my eyes and swallowed my saliva harshly. The toughest part was over, but I'm not finished.

I open my eyes and I get up as quickly as I could. My left leg is in pain, even when I put weight on it. I even think that my ankle might've gotten sprained. Although it's all trivial as I set my sights onto the ring. The siren is practically there, just a few feet away.

I angrily fight back my tears and begin to run. Every time my left foot pushes off the uneven surface, it's like electricity is being injected into me. The pain is burning, yet it's enough to make me to push harder to reach the ugly beast.

And just as I'm getting close, I throw myself on top of her.

"Ah! You crazy human!" She yells out angrily, pushing me off.

I roll over inches away. I pick up a rock near me. It was a nice size with a good weight on it. I struggled a little with the minimal strength I had left. So I used both hands to lift it over my head, ready to slam it onto the siren's tail in front of me.

But just as I'm bringing my arms down, I'm frozen in place. And the erotic voice of my enemy captures my attention. The lovely low pitch sound surrounds my entire being, encasing me in this invisible cage.

I can't move my limbs. Just my eyes. I can't even feel a thing either. The pain from my left leg vanished. It's like I was separated from my physical body.

The rock that I had in my hands, fell back to the ground with my hands still hovering in the air. In my peripheral view, I see the siren grasping the glowing item. The magic ring is finally in her grasp now.

It's all over.

The siren slithers back into my view and she carefully lifts up my right hand with her slimy ones. She holds out the ring with her forefinger and thumb. The item is actually beautiful to me. The white glow had came from the tiny white jewels flowing inside the ring's water. The ring itself is just a simple circle shape. I can't tell where the flow of water begins or ends. It's being held up by magic. It's amazing and sad I'm witnessing this before my death. I just know she's going to use me as sacrifice.

She continues to hum her hypnotic song as she slips the ring on. I await for pain to come to me. Or something crazy as I stare at the item on my right ring finger.

However, nothing happened. In fact, I feel my arms and legs again. The sensation of being able to move returns as I bring my right hand closer. How?

I look up and my eyes widen in shock.

Before me, Kaene, in his human form, had his hand through the siren's chest. How did he manage to kill her without either of us noticing?

I mean I know I was preoccupied with admiring the magic item on my hand. But the siren could have sensed him coming. Unless she too was distracted by her close achievement.

And I think she was because the look on her face is completely shocked. She coughs up blue liquid. It brings her out of her stupor. "D-dragon! Y-you (gasps) will d-die."

Kaene takes his hand back and stabs through her body once again in a different spot. But it didn't seem to affect her as she stutters words in her language quickly.

"Kaida!"

I look up and see Zander climbing down the hole Kaene made. He's shirtless, covered in blue and discolored goo from his enemies.

Just as I was about to yell back, a sudden jolt of pain came from my hand. Specifically my right hand. I look down and notice the ring had turned ice. I look up at Kaene and see how nervous he is.

The siren, now dead, had an evil smile on her still face.

What kind of mumbo jumbo did this bitch do?

"K-Kaene w-what's h-happening?" My words came out in a stuttering mess as I felt my body going cold. I look down and see that half my arm has turned to ice.

"Shit, she used the ring's magic."

"Kaida!" Zander approached us in a frantic. "What's going on?!"

Kaene threw aside the siren and quickly explained the situation to Zander.

Zander looked confused, then angry, and then at a loss. He gripped at his hair and said, "What do we do? She's freezing over!"

He's right, my chest is now being swallowed by the ice shards. I'm going to be an ice statue soon. Even my breath is visible as I breathe out. Just like it always did whenever I'd play in the snow with my sister.

I start to blink slowly. My vision is becoming blurry. And I once again can't feel my body.

Staring up at the frantic men in front of me, I feel so much remorse. If only I hadn't been so selfish. No. If only I had given them and everyone else a chance, I wouldn't have felt desperate to use them.

I close my eyes as I felt the remaining ice reaching my head.

"Kaida hang on!"

"Kaida open your eyes!"

I didn't know who said what. But I did sense the anxiety behind their words.

"I-I'm s-s-sorry." I barely managed my last words out as I succumbed to my cold darkness.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 11/30

Hey to my awesome (and patient) readers! I hope you've all been staying safe through this pandemic. It's been tough and frustrating but  we'll get through this eventually. Just stay positive.

So, I hope you enjoy the chapter! Thank you again for your patience!

Comment. Vote. & Share!