~ 11 ~

~ Chapter Eleven ~

The following morning, Libelle wasn't the one to wake me. Instead it was Ruby. She had on a white dress that fell just around her knees. The white made her red hair stand out more. I'm jealous at how simple a dress can make this girl look even more exotic.

I wonder if there's any way to dye my hair here. Maybe a change in hair color is what I need as a distraction. Or probably finding a way to get me some shoes. But not the ugly flat sandals that Ruby seems to be wearing.

"Libelle isn't feeling well. She drank too much last night." Ruby giggled at the last part of her explanation.

So Libelle ended up with a hungover, not surprised. I'd laugh too if I wasn't so grumpy from last night. Libelle immediately started playing matchmaker when she had said that I wouldn't have to rush in choosing a mate yet.

Just because I've agreed to stay and follow their customs, doesn't mean I will jump into everything right away. I need to speak with her and clear any misunderstandings.

This reminds me of the time my best friend, Chloe, wanted to hook me up with her brother. It was completely obvious and awkward for him and me. She would plan dates for all three of us, yet she would either flake or leave early in order for her brother and I to be left alone.

In the end we both confronted her and explained how we would never date each other. She was bummed of course, but understood our feelings.

However, I don't think Libelle is like Chloe. She doesn't understand how uncomfortable it is to be showcased like the way she did it last night. It put me in an awkward place.

I just hope it was the alcohol that had influenced her. Maybe I'll speak to her later.

I wore my pink dress and grabbed the biege one from last night. Ruby and I are going to be doing laundry along with a few other women this morning. These two dresses are the only ones I have right now, so I have to wash them daily.

As we walked, Ruby brought up the whole mate thing. Which kinda irked me. I mean, I already have Libelle on me about it. Why would I need another nosy body up in my business too?

"Are you excited for your mating games?" She asked happily. Oblivious to my darkening mood.

"Not really... I mean, I don't know anyone, much less any guys I'd be interested in." I responded as honestly as I could without sounding annoyed with this topic.

I think I succeeded.

"Well you better start learning some names. The next full moon should be coming soon."

We made it to the area where we bathe and wash clothes. The warm water steaming on the far right was calling to me. I needed a long bath and a bath bomb. But I doubt I'd find any bath bombs here.

What Ruby just said, got me all anxious. The full moon should be here soon, so I need to find a way to avoid the whole thing altogether, or at least find a decent guy. Because let's face it, I don't want to end up with just anybody if I can't find a solution for this crisis.

Some women were already gathered around the stream, washing clothes on the left side. Ruby and I joined them silently, our conversation put on hold.

"Kaida." I looked up from scrubbing my beige dress. A woman older than me, with blonde hair and light brown eyes, was calling me. "I noticed you're looking for a mate desperately." The others snickered at that, exluding Ruby. "Why not just ask Zander since you begged him to go to your room last night."

My eyes widened in shock while Ruby whipped her head towards me. I shook my head at Ruby and then turned to the rest of the women. "I only asked for help. I don't know my way around. What you're insinuating is false. Nothing happened between Zander and me."

The blonde woman hummed in suspicion. "I'm warning you. He's off limits. He denies every girl, so you would just wind up with a broken heart."

So the man was a heartbreaker. He was aloof and quiet around me last night. But I assume it was because we were strangers, so he must've been uncomfortable around me. But knowing how he's turned every mating opportunity away has me wondering about him. Is the guy already in love? Or waiting for someone to woo him? Or...

"Is he gay?" The words tumbled out of my mouth before I was able to process it through my head.

Yet, it was too late.

All the women stared at me in confusion.

"What's gay?" Asked Ruby.

I looked at every pair of eyes, wondering if this is some kind of joke or not. But it isn't. Everyone waited for me to explain and clear their confusion.

I took a deep breath. "Well you see... Where I come from, not everyone marries the opposite gender. Some women like women and some men only like men... Homosexuality, is another term for it.."

"You mean to say that.. Zander may be the type to only like men as a... Lover?" The words came from the blonde woman. Her face held disbelief and heartache. She must've had a crush on Zander and I potentially ruined it.

I wonder if this is a normal reaction. I wouldn't know since the men in my world are obvious when they're interested in men only. So women would know when to back off. Here, however, may be more difficult since they have a duty to continue their legacies through reproduction.

The only thing I did was shrug towards the blonde girl. She can ask him herself if she really wants to know. I for one, don't care. I got my own problems.

I turned to Ruby, who had disbelief written all over her face. Did I ruin her dreams too? I need to stop talking about things from my world to these creatures because it would only seem abnormal and confusing to them.

"Hey, Ruby?" She blinked back to normal and looked at me. I took that as my cue to continue. "Where can I get shoes?"

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 6/9/19

Yep. These dragons Don't know what homosexuality is, yet they're okay with polygamy. Funny right?

I hope these topics don't bother anyone. If so, I apologize. Sorry 🙏

P. S: Comment, Vote, & Share!