~ 29 ~

~ Chapter Twenty Nine ~

After dinner, Ruby and I went to her room. One which I am jealous of. She has chairs, a vanity with an actual mirror, and various chests filled with clothes and jewelry. The only thing missing in this room would be an actual bed. I guess she likes to sleep on the bumpy floor.

If only my room had such qualities. I lay the few pairs of clothing on the floor, folded right next to my leaf bed. But that's not the main issue here. I should care less about my room and focus on my current dilemma.

Is Kaene trustworthy?

I took a seat in one of the chairs and faced Ruby, who preferred to stand. She stood with a hand on her chin in deep concentration. Her eyebrows scrunched towards the middle, creating lines around her forehead.

Ruby dropped her hand and asked me, "Do you think he likes you?"

I rolled my eyes at her. "Not everything has to be in association to romantic feelings. Besides, he claimed to like someone else already."

Ruby took a seat in front of me looking eager to know more. "Really? Who?"

I let out a sigh. "I don't know and I don't care. Ruby, we finally know where the ring is."

"Yes. It's hundreds of feet below us. How in the world are we suppose to get it? Especially since the final mating challenges are tomorrow."

I stayed silent for a moment. I needed to get that ring by tomorrow night because it'll be my only chance to use the dimensional whirlpool. If I wait any longer, it would be too late. I would be with a mate and turned into a dragon. By then I would never be able to return to my family.

I have to tell the siren where the ring is. She can extract it herself secretly and I can go home. Everyone wins.

Although, what Xenon mentioned does bother me. The one to wield the ring eventually dies. But their use of the power is still completed. Or so I assume since the ring was used to create this mountain.

So what could the sirens use it for? To harm the dragons? To conquer this world?

Whatever it is, I'm sure it's bad. And I don't know if I can do that to these dragons. They have given me shelter, clothes, and food. I'm grateful they had given me all that. Even if I was kinda forced into staying.

Who knows what would have happened if I had gone and went into those woods by myself. I would be dead by now since I don't know anything about surviving in the wild.

"Kaida," Ruby grabbed my hands and held it tightly in hers. "Why can't you think about this. Giving up that ring may bring chaos to this world. Those sirens only think of themselves so who knows if they're telling the truth about that whirlpool. And... Is it so bad becoming part of our family?"

I looked away from Ruby's face. Her green eyes shined as they stared deep into my eyes, searching for an answer she wants.

"The transformation isn't one hundred percent either. I rather take my chances with the whirlpool than dying during the process of becoming a dragon."

Ruby looked puzzled for a moment. "Who said you'll die?"

"I read it in one of the old journals Libelle had given me."

"We just found out the books from the library are false. So who's to say those were accurate or not?"

Ruby had a good point. What if everything I read was altered. To make me lose hope. Or to be afraid of my future in these lands.

I tugged my hands away from Ruby and stood up from my chair.

"I don't want to stay here and talk about how I was potentially lied to. If we choose to believe that the journals were fabricated, then I'm going to believe that there is a way to go home when the journals said there wasn't hope of going back. I'm determined to do this with or without your help."

Ruby stood up quickly. "I'm doing my best to help you, Kaida. I just have a loyalty to my people. I can't let you continue if you're going to put us in danger."

It was then I knew why she was helping me. She was just keeping an eye on me. Ruby was trying to make sure I didn't do anything stupid. Well I'm a young adult, eighteen. Obviously I'm going to be stupid here.

"Lets just go to dinner. We're most likely late anyway."

Ruby stared at me for a moment. But I turned away as I walked towards the door. I didn't want her to see how upset I was.

~ *** ~

During dinner, I remained seated with Libelle. She chatted along with her husband as she ate. Kaene, on the other hand was no where to be found.

I actually wanted to speak to him. To directly ask about what happened earlier. I want to know if he intentionally asked his father for answers about the ring to help me out.

I turned to the gossiping couple. I cleared my throat to grab their attention. "Um, excuse me. But have you seen Kaene? I need to.. Uh ask him something."

Xenon nodded. "He should be doing some patrol work in the woods. I'll have someone go with you."

I began shaking my head. "Thats okay. Tell me in what direction and I'll find him."

"Honey, you can't go alone." Libelle cut in. "I suggest you take someone."

"I'll grab Ruby on the way."

Libelle smiled and stayed quiet as Xenon explained to me where Kaene should be.

I thanked them and left them alone.

I knew I said I was going to grab Ruby, but I don't see her anywhere. I turn and see that Libelle and Xenon are in their own little world. They won't notice me leaving alone.

So I mentally shrugged and went straight towards the woods.

Now that it's dark, the woods seem a lot more creepier. The large flowers hunched down remind me of a delicate scarecrow. It's leaves making a shape of arms and the flower petals resembling a crazy mop of hair.

The air seemed colder too as I delved deeper into the woods. I wrapped my arms around myself. I held myself tighter as darkness surrounded me.

I couldn't see or hear anything.

I stopped walking and stood still. It's abnormal for a place to be deadly silent.

I focused on my surroundings and tried very hard to hear something. But I came short. There was nothing.

"So we meet again, human."

I rapidly turned around as soon as the words hit my ears. The raspy voice from the same siren as before crept up like a whisper in my ears.

But as I turned, no one was there.

I gulped in fear.

I have watched so many horror movies. Yet why oh why do I end up making the same mistake as the characters in them?

I shouldn't have ventured out alone.

*** *** *** *** *** ***

A/N

Posted: 3/8/20

I would just like to say, thank you for being patient and that I'm back baby! 😂

Vote. Comment. & Share!