nightmares // kuroken // angst

okay so i started cRaving kuroken fluff the other day so i started writing this,, and then uhh my brain said no💞 and this one shot turned into,,, this.

OSHFKDH THIS HURT ME TO WRITE OH MY GOD

i love kenma so much omfg i hope he never has to go through this :(( i feel so horrible akdhjd but hey you guys asked for angst so

anyway idk if this vibes the way i wanted it to bUt here ya go

~~~

Kenma took a deep breath, staring down at the screen of his gameboy and trying to keep his eyes open. They were heavy with sleep, yet he was doing everything in his power to stay awake.

A wide yawn escaped his mouth and a bit of his long hair slipped in front of his face. Too tired to move his hands and pull it back into his hoodie, which he had over his head, he let it hang there, right in front of his eyes. He stared at it blankly, mind not processing what was going on. It wasn't until another yawn rocked his body that he started thinking again, and still, he barely reacted.

God, he was exhausted. But he still couldn't bring himself to sleep—and he didn't want to. Well, his body clearly begged him for rest, but he wouldn't allow it. Nope.

He wasn't going to deal with the nightmares again.

Kenma pulled his hoodie around himself a bit tighter, ignoring the way his head was pounding and the pain in his eyes from refusing to blink. He was fighting his own body, and it was exhausting. Everything was exhausting at this point. All he wanted to do was sleep, sleep, sleep, sleep. . . .

His head hit the pillow and his mind immediately went blank.

~~~

The next thing he knew, Kenma was walking through the halls of his new school: Nekoma High. He was an incoming first year, and he was beyond nervous—for multiple reasons. One, he was at a new school. He had never been inside of this school, so he could easily get lost. Scratch that—he would definitely get lost. Then he'd be stuck wandering the halls, looking for his next class, and the bell would ring and all of the other students would rush to their classes but he wouldn't be able to find his and then he would accidentally go into the wrong one and the teacher would call him out and all of the students would laugh at him and he'd become the laughing stock of the school on the first day—

He took a deep breath to calm himself, then hugged his belongings closer to his chest as he walked through the hallways, anxiety resting in a pit in his stomach and making him feel sick.

For some strange, unknown reason, Kenma didn't have his bag with him. Usually, he would carry all of his belongings in a small leather bag, but he didn't have that, so he was holding his textbooks, phone, papers, and gameboy in his arms. He looked down at the ensemble of things in his arms and suddenly noticed that one his shoes were untied.

A gasp left his mouth as he stepped on his own shoelace and fell to the ground, scratching up his knees through his pants and dropping his belongings everywhere. His phone and his gameboy skidded all the way across the hallway, right where people were walking, and he watched in horror as someone's foot came stomping down on it, shattering it to pieces. His face contorted in pain as he watched his only source of true happiness be completely crushed, along with his heart.

"Oh, my God, move, weirdo!" someone yelled, kicking his papers up into his face.

Another face turned to look down at him, still kneeling on the ground with his papers spread out around him, and then another, and another, and another, until everyone in the hallway was looking at him, their faces filled with annoyance and anger just at the sight of him. Then the bell rang overhead, and instead of the students all rushing to their classes, they stayed in place, staring down at Kenma furiously, their faces slowly contorting even more until they looked like monsters, with dark, angry eyes and deep, loathing scowls.