stealing hearts is not as easy as stealing princes // bokuaka

okay this wasn't originally gonna be bokuaka bUt i'm obsessed with them and have been dYing to write a bokuaka royalty au p l u s i couldn't figure out names so,,, this happened.

again, it wasn't originally supposed to be bokuaka, so i apologize if the characters are kinda out of whack lol

and??? i really like parentheses apparently

also i haven't edited cause i'm lazy and it's like,, one am. it feels so weird calling kuroo tetsurou i

~~~

The prince sat in the garden, a leather-bound book in his hands as he read peacefully. A few strands of his black hair fell into his eyes, having moved from their place behind his ear, while he listened to the calm sounds of nature around him. The birds were singing, the trees were rustling, even a few crickets were chirping as they jumped around at his feet.

The book in his hands was one he had read many times before—a story filled with pirates, mermaids, royalty, and townspeople. He tried to read it at least once or twice a month, since he believed it was lucky; every time he read it, he seemed to be transported to another place, both mentally and physically, though not in the way one would expect.

As he turned the page—He was now on page 247, his favorite—the birds and crickets around him went silent as a group right before a loud whoosh could be heard, telling the princess that the animals had quickly fled the garden.

The sound of approaching footsteps made him close the book, putting it down on the wooden swing he had been sitting on. He stood up, crossed his arms over his chest, and walked around the tree blocking his view of the approaching person.

"Who's there?" he said, voice mostly steady but also shaking slightly, even though he begged himself to seem completely calm.

A deep, mischievous laugh came from behind the tree, just out of the prince's line of sight. Suddenly, there was a flash of movement behind him, and before he knew it, his hands were clasped behind his back, though by just a gentle hand.

"Oh, come on, " he whined, pulling his hands out of the person's grasp but not moving away. "Really, Bokuto? Today?"

"Please?" he said, spinning around her so that they could look each other in the eye. "It's been sooo long, Prince Tetsurou."

"Fine, fine—"

"Yay—!"

"—but I better be back here before sunset. I have plans with Kenma."

"Dang," Bokuto said as he helped the prince onto the back of his horse, which had been hiding behind a path of green trees at the back of the garden. "I can't believe you've gotten further with your servant than I have with Akaashi. I doubt he even knows what I look like."

"He punches you in the face every time he has to rescue me."

"I knoww, but stillll."

"Well, I mean, it does help that I don't threaten something Kenma is sworn to protect with his life. Maybe if Akaashi knew that you weren't trying to kill me, he wouldn't be so angry about you, you know, kidnapping me."

"That's a smart idea, Prince Tetsurou! Can you please talk to him about that?"

"Me? Uh, no, you can do that. I'm supposed to be getting kidnapped, remember?"

"Okay, fine."

"So, where are we going today? The woods? The desert?"

"Just the cave. I was planning to go to the coast, but since you have plans, or whatever, I figured the cave is quicker," Bokuto said as he guided his horse through the long, winding forest. He had kidnapped the prince multiple times before, so much so that they had a whole routine for it, which including finding fun, interesting places, flying dragons, and waiting for Sir Akaashi to find them and take the prince back to then castle. (Surprisingly, Bokuto had yet to be killed, which was probably thanks to Tetsurou vouching for him.)