in a dream // iwaoi // angst

Start from the beginning

So, he walked into his closet and grabbed his phone from the floor, turning it on and opening it up to Iwaizumi's contact. Oikawa typed a quick message and then stared at it for a long, long time, holding his finger over the send button without actually sending it. Then, suddenly, he took a deep breath and sent it before he could chicken out.

oikawa tooru the alien king
iwaizumi

oikawa tooru the alien king
i think we should break up.

~~~

The next morning, Oikawa woke up with a throbbing headache, still in his work clothes from the day before. After getting up and drinking some water for his head, he walked back to his bedroom and picked up his phone while he went to his closet to change.

As he stripped off his shirt, he opened his phone, going straight to Iwaizumi's contact just like he did every morning. He pulled a clean shirt on over his chest and looked down at the small device, ready to send his daily "good morninggg iwa-chan!! have an amazing day :D." However, he took one look down at his phone and his breath hitched.

oikawa tooru the alien king
iwaizumi
(read 4:27 am)

oikawa tooru the alien king
i think we should break up.
(read 4:28 am)

iwa-chan is secretly an alien (**)
i'm sorry, what?
(sent 4:31 am)

Oikawa cursed under his breath. He cursed himself, he cursed his impulsiveness, he cursed the fact that he had access to his phone in a time when he wasn't able to think. Then he cursed his stubbornness.

There was no way Oikawa was going to admit to his mistake. Like, it's Oikawa. He was perfect, right? Yep. There was a reason he appeared that way so much. And if he were to own up to this and explain it, it would not only make Iwaizumi laugh at him so hard he would barely be able to breathe, but it would also hurt Iwaizumi's feelings a lot—the fact that Oikawa was thinking such horrible things because of his work in America would be painful for him. Iwaizumi wouldn't admit it, but it would bug him a lot. He would start to feel horrible about being in America for work, and that wasn't what Oikawa wanted,

So he did what any sane person would do: Leave the message on read.

~~~

Five months slowly rolled by. Oikawa was still at the same job with the same people (Well, except for his coworker, Kyoutani, who had quit three months ago), and he was doing fine. Yep, just fine. Absolutely peachy. It wasn't like he thought about Iwaizumi every day, no, not at all.

It wasn't like he thought about his mistake every damn day.

Okay, that was clearly a lie. Not a day went by where Oikawa didn't think about his ex. There wasn't a day where he didn't mentally beat himself up for his stupid, hasty decision that night.

It took him three months to realize that, hey, maybe stubbornness wasn't a good reason to let friendships end, but once he did, it was too late for him to go back to save his relationship with Iwaizumi. He was too much of a coward for that.

"Oikawa-san!" someone said next to his desk. "You're zoning out again."

"Ah, my apologies," he explained quickly with a small bow. "I was just thinking."