8. I.H. - Brother's Keeper

Start from the beginning

"You two break up right now."

"Shayne, what the hell?" Even Courtney asks me. "You're her brother, but I don't think you're in the right place to say that."

"Break up right now," I repeat myself, still red with rage. "I don't approve of this. Y/N, I know you're a grown woman, but now that you work at Smosh, you can't just date your own boss."

Ian and Y/N reluctantly look at each other. Upset, Ian lets go of her hand and leaves, not having anything else to say. Courtney lets go of me when his car was out of sight, but that's when Y/N slaps me right across my face, her eyes in tears. "And I thought I had found the love of my life too, but you just ruin everything for me, don't you?" she says before walking away to her car, wiping her eyes. Eventually, she was gone too.

Courtney, quiet, accompanies me to my car. We drive back to Mythical, because her car was still there, but when we arrive, I could only hit my head on the steering wheel several times, upset. She sighs, patting my back. "You feel bad now?"

"Yeah, so much," I answer, sighing. "I just... I just couldn't handle the thought of it, you know. When she told me she was going to work here, I was so worried because I was afraid that she'd do something reckless. And I think Ian's a great guy, but there's just too much going on between us as friends and co-workers that it never really arrived on my mind that they could be dating."

"Well, I'm pretty sure your sister will forgive you," she assures me, grinning. "Ian too. They're forgiving people, Shayne, but they'll only do that if you sincerely tell them that you're sorry."

I look at her, frowning. "Can you help me out with that?"

"You took the right person with ya."

We return to the Smosh office, with Sarah being the last person there. We borrow the keys to Ian's office, and Courtney takes a bunch of stationery stuff. I write my letter as she does the decorating work. Evening turns into night, and when we went home, we only waited for tomorrow, which was a piece of cake.

Speaking of cake, I buy one on my way to work the following day. Waiting for me at the front desk was Courtney, and we finish everything we had to do in Ian's office. When Y/N arrives, Courtney distracts her as I read through my letter again. When Ian arrives, she gets them together to enter his office, and I stand up as soon as they enter. "What's all this?" Ian asks as Courtney closes the door behind them.

"I wanna apologize for last night's douchebaggery," I say, "which isn't even a real word. But the point is... I just got surprised with everything. Y/N's my sister, and I took care of her for my entire life. I was scared that her recklessness would lead her to someone bad, but Ian, you're a good guy. I've known that for years now, and I know you'll take good care of her. But... I'm just really sorry with how I acted last night. I wasn't in the right place to ask you guys to break up just because I got shocked. You guys are happy, and honestly, I'm pretty envious of that. You're lucky people, and I'm pretty sure you're luckier together."

With that, Ian drops his bag to give me a bear hug, which he barely does. He pats me on the back and tells me, "I'm sorry I didn't tell you immediately, Shayne. I genuinely thought this would happen, and Y/N and I weren't ready to make it official yet too."

"Well, you should," I reply. "I got you cake and everything. That should make things official."

Y/N hugs me next. "I'm sorry, Shayney," she says to me, frowning. "I told you that you don't have to worry about me. I'm not just your sister, you know? I have a life of my own, but that doesn't mean I don't think about you anymore. I know what I'm doing."

"Ha. Is that Ian?"

"Meanie, we haven't done that yet."

"You shouldn't. We're at work."

"Shut up," she tells me, grinning. "Forgiven?"

"Forgiven. Forgiven?"

"No shit." She embraces me tightly, and it leaves a smile on my face.

When Courtney and I embrace, Ian and Y/N look at us weirdly. "Uh, why?" Ian asks me, smirking. "Shayne, Courtney's like a sister to me."

"Oh, yeah, why are we hugging?" she mumbles, confused. "Err... everyone was getting hugs from each other. I thought it was fun."

"And she did majority of this whole thing," I counter, crossing my arms as we open the door to leave. "So that hug... was a thank-you."

"Don't worry, Courtney," Y/N says, grinning. "You have my stamp of approval already."

"Shut up!" we yell simultaneously, closing the door behind us.

-/-/-