8. I.H. - Brother's Keeper

Start from the beginning

"You are right." I get my jacket from my seat. "You are absolutely right, and I have to find out who it is."

"Oh, no, no, no. You are not stalking your sister... well, without me."

So Courtney and I wait until five to see where Y/N was headed. While we waited, I deduced in my head who it could be. It wouldn't be Damien, because Damien knows for shit that I would absolutely lose my shit if he dated her. Keith wouldn't do that either, because Keith and Y/N got along too well as friends in her first week here. Noah had a girlfriend, Tommy had a boyfriend. Everyone else had partners or spouses. I'm not sure if my sister's into girls, but she hasn't even met Kimmy nor Jackie, who both aren't in relationships right now. So I keep trying to think of who it was, and I was left with only a few people on my list.

"Are you dating my sister?" I ask Courtney for certainty.

"Are you really suspecting me?" she counters, frowning. "Your sister's pretty, but no."

"I'm just using the process of elimination," I explain. "The only person left on the list... is Ian."

Our eyes dart to Ian's office, specifically Ian who had just locked it as he took his bag with him. He spots us, gives us a wave, before leaving the office. Carefully following him, I take my bag too and Courtney follows me. Ian does his time-out at the front desk, and then he leaves in his car. I still refuse to believe it, so I get into my car with Courtney riding shotgun as we follow Ian two cars away from us.

She asks me, "You think it's him? But Ian swore off dating for a while."

"Yeah, but then a few months ago, he told us he met someone online," I reply, getting furious with every second passing. "And I just... I don't want this to happen, Courtney. That's my sister, and that's my boss."

"Well, I said that too with Kari," she says to me, sipping the rest of her coffee. "Those exact same words."

We follow Ian's car, which was easy to follow because it was a bright electric blue. I set his address on the GPS, and he was on track for a solid few minutes until he takes a detour elsewhere. He was headed to somewhere I wasn't familiar with, and even Courtney was getting confused to where we were going. We eventually arrive at a nearby park, and I park my car nervously.

"Okay, calm down," Courtney tells me. "It might not be Y/N. If it were Y/N, don't confront them or anything. You can talk to Y/N calmly at home, and--- Shayne! Come back here!"

I get out of my car and follow Ian, with Courtney trailing behind me and trying to get me to return to the car. But when I see Ian meeting Y/N at a bench, I could feel my blood boiling. Of all people, it had to be my boss. Sure, Ian was my friend, but that's the point. Ian was my friend, and unlike the way I told Sam about Olivia and the other way around, I wasn't prepared for this. Trying to calm myself down as I watch them from afar, I take slow, deep breaths. But when he greets her with an embrace and a kiss, I could feel my jaw dropping and my feet walking towards them.

"Oh, shit!" I hear Courtney exclaim as I face them both, furious. "Shayne!"

"Dude, what the hell?" I ask Ian as I pull Y/N back. "What the hell are you doing with my sister?"

"Shayne, what are you doing here?!" Y/N yells at me.

"Shayne, I can explain," Ian says to me, calmly as if he were only waiting for this to happen. "You need to calm down and let me explain."

"Bro, that's my sister," I reply, trying to calm down as my sister and Courtney hold me back from him. "You could have dated anyone, why would you choose my sister?"

"Oh, God, will you stop being so overprotective?" Y/N retorts as she hands me to Courtney and stands next to Ian. "Look, listen to me. I met Ian online a few months ago, but I didn't know it was him. We fell in love, and he told me to come to LA. When we met for the first time, we were obviously upset with this turn of events, but... Ian is someone I genuinely care about, so I disregarded that you guys were co-workers. And I was planning to tell you soon, but you were always so overprotective of me that it annoyed me, because I know what I'm doing! I'm 27, for God's sake, and you still protect me from stuff."