13. Whoa

Draco's POV

Draco sped up the stairs to McGonagall's office. What did I do this time? He wondered, his mind racing. When Hermione had run up to him, her cheeks glowing, he'd thought something was wrong. Especially when she told him he had to see the Headmistress.

Bloody hell, he panicked. What am I going to do?

He didn't have any time to think. He just ran up the stairs to McGonagall's office, his lean body able to make him go faster.

When he burst through the door, he said, "I swear, Professor, I didn't do it!"

McGonagall only looked at him with an amused expression. "And what might you be referring to, Mr. Malfoy?"

"Um, nothing. I didn't do anything." He sucked in a deep breath. "Why, er, why did you want me here?"

McGonagall chuckled. "Well, Mr. Malfoy, I've taken in your recent behaviors after the war, and your, well, interest in Ms. Granger, and I've decided to make you Head Boy."

Draco's mouth dropped open. "Really? That's great!"

The Headmistress smiled at him. "Congratulations, Draco." Then, with a glint in her eyes that reminded him of Dumbledore, she said, "I think you'll be happy with my decision for Head Girl."

Draco blushed and had his hand on the door when he choked back a sudden sob. Tears filled his eyes, and he heard Severus Snape mutter, "I knew there was emotion in that thick skull of his."

"Is there something wrong, Draco?" McGonagall's voice was full of concern, which made Draco cry more.

"No, sorry--it's just--I don't know what it's like to be a leader, to be kind. All my life, my father, he didn't want me talking to Potter, or...Granger, either. I'm afraid that I'll be that person again, once you've given me this sense of power. I'm scared of my own self. I guess that makes me weak, doesn't it?"

Minerva gathered him up in a hug. A moment of contact that usually Draco wanted to be from Hermione. "Not at all, Draco. In fact, it makes you stronger. Perhaps the strongest you've been in a long time. Don't be afraid of yourself, be proud of yourself."

Draco nodded, wiping his tears. "Okay."

"Have a biscuit, dear. The password's 'Albus Dumbledore'."

With a biscuit in hand, Draco left the Headmistress's office feeling healed, a feeling he'd never known.

***

Rushing up the stairs to the Head Boy and Girl common room, Draco couldn't wait to see the look on Hermione's face when he told her he was Head Boy.

"Albus Dumbledore," he recited from memory, nervous butterflies in his stomach. Once the portrait swung open and he could see the brown locks he'd been longing for, he raced in, and twirled her around. Her face of pure surprise turned into happiness, and she gave him a kiss.

"Head Boy?" She said, smiling.

"Yeah," Draco breathed, holding her close. "We did it."

They would be spending a lot of time together in the future.