21. Godric's Hollow Graveyard

Hermione's POV

When everything settled, Hermione took in her surroundings. Draco was gone from her side, and she felt unprotected, even in this familiar place. It was the graveyard. Godric's Hollow Graveyard.

Everyone was gone, and the chilled wind caused her to wrap her arms around herself.

Then she saw them. A group of people, wearing masks and dark clothing. Death Eaters.

She stepped back, terrified, but ran into a headstone. The name 'Peverell' was carved into the stone, marking the family's graves. The three names of the sons were worn away from wind, and other weather, but she knew them by heart: Antioch, Cadmus, and Ignotus.

With an icy thought, she realized that it was exactly what had happened in the dream. I'm going to die, she thought in a panic. I can't change it, can I?

"Hello, beautiful," a man said, in a strange accent. She looked and saw him, Fenrir Greyback, prowling among the edges of the graveyard. "Nice night, ain't it?"

"What are you—" She started, but a hand covered her mouth roughly. Her eyes widened in fear, and she stood rigid, her feeling of cold temporarily gone.

"Now, let's get this over with," the voice came from behind her this time, and when she looked back, out of the corner of her eye she could identify the intruder. Malfoy. Lucius Malfoy. The one who'd taken her out of the Great Hall.

He shoved her forward, bending her at the waist to bring her head close to a coffin above the ground. She struggled, kicking and clawing at the hand that still blocked her airways.

By now, the crowd of people had grown to a massive size, and she saw a glint of blond hair at the edge. Before she could focus in, she was turned over and smacked on the grave, her back aching from the impact.

Malfoy smirked. "How fitting, that a mudblood should die, on a mudblood's grave."

Shaking, she turned her head to see the name engraved in the stone. It read: "Lily Potter." A strangled cry escaped her mouth, but she was shifted, and the next thing she saw was a knife's glint from the moon up above.

He raised the knife into the air. She looked back to the sliver of blond hair that she'd seen before, and recognized his face immediately.

Draco. It was him.

She waited for the knife to plunge through her heart, for the moment of nothingness to fill her mind. But it never came.

Everything happened at once. Lucius was pushed off of her, and she sucked gasps of cold, fresh air, whipping her head around wildly, trying to find her rescuer.

It shouldn't have surprised her at all. It was Draco, pushing his own father against a large family grave marker, his eyes cold and icy. "Don't touch her," he spat.

"You're going to save her?" His father's voice was mocking. "Why save the mudblood?"

Hermione was still in shock, awaiting the moment that he would let go and say the words, order his father to kill her. Maybe he'd been faking it all along. If it was the truth, he'd done a damn good job.

But his next words were not what she was expecting.

"Her name is Hermione," he said, "and I love her."