23. The Agreement

Both Draco and Hermione's POV

Thankfully, the other students had not been harmed. They were still all in the Great Hall, looking around, confused. When they got back, everyone congratulated them, creating pandemonium in the large room.

It was time to go to the train, where the students would take the ride back to Platform 9 3/4, some for the last time. Hermione was positive that she'd see the old school again, and soon. Maybe she'd get a teaching job here. She could help Professor Trelawney, since she'd never completed her lessons.

Draco squeezed her hand. "I can't believe it's over. I've had some of the best and worst days in my life here." He looked back wistfully over his shoulder.

Hermione led him aboard the train and they found an empty compartment together. Sitting down, she smiled. "Yeah, but I expect I'll be back, soon enough. You?"

"Anywhere you are, that's where I'll be." His words sank deep into her bones.

Hermione shifted uncomfortably, and Draco looked at her. "I know what you're thinking, and I think it's a good idea."

"You know what I'm thinking?"

"Yeah. I'll only keep you from becoming your best self. I don't want to hold you back. Besides, who knows if this—us—would even work in the real world? You know I love you, and I know you feel the same about me, but I think it's a good idea to break up the bond for a little bit. We have to worry about our future for now."

Hermione looked at him sadly. "I know. I don't think that you'll hold me back, but I can't say that I'll consider a job my first priority with a brewing relationship to worry about."

Draco took her hand. "Then for now, we're friends. Right?"

Hermione let out a choked sob. She couldn't bear the thought of not being with him. But she nodded bravely. "Just friends," she whispered.

Not able to see her cry, he pulled her in for one more kiss, one more time. Her lips tasted salty from her tears, and he rested his forehead against hers.

The ride home was too short. It was spent cheering each other up, reassuring one another that after they both had a career underway, they'd find each other. Always.

When the billowing smoke cleared and the Hogwarts Express creaked to a stop, Hermione sighed and stood up. She gave Draco a tight hug and whispered, "I'll never stop loving you, Draco."

"And I you," he croaked, tears suddenly coming to the surface. Hermione wiped them with each of her thumbs, and smiled at him.

"It'll be okay," she said, "we'll be okay."

They stepped off of the train and ran through the barrier. On the other side, between platforms 9 and 10, were Hermione's parents, smiling with arms open, awaiting her return home.

And to the right, was Draco's mother. He was nervous to see her, but when he walked up to her, she wrapped her arms around him, encasing him with her love. "I'm so proud of you," she said. "I didn't realize Bella's intentions. You've always seen things so clearly."

And for the first time in a very long time, he could say that he'd felt a mother's love.

Hermione waved at him, and he returned the gesture. "Goodbye, Hermione!" he called.

He couldn't hear her response, but he could see her lips move, forming the words, 'I love you.'

"Well, what can I say," his mother laughed, her eyes full of a bright light, "the Malfoy men always go for the intelligent women."

He blushed, but followed her out of King's Cross Station. I'll come back for you, Hermione, he promised her internally.

Across the station, Hermione was assuring herself. I'll be okay, Draco. I'll miss you, but I'll be okay. So will you.

And they started the walk away from each other, for how long, they didn't know.