4. Detention

Hermione's POV

Hermione sat in Transfiguration, half listening to McGonagall. She was thinking about Draco. She wasn't even ashamed that she now called him by his first name. After all, that was his name.

"Miss Granger?" Professor McGonagall looked down her pointy nose at her.

Hermione sat up. "Yes, Professor?"

"Speak to me after class," she said vaguely. There was a hint of disappointment in her eyes.

I'm caught, she thought grimly.

The rest of the class period went by slowly. When it was finally done, Hermione walked up to her desk timidly. McGonagall was sitting in her chair with her back straight, and not a hair was out of place.

"Miss Granger, I am very disappointed to see you unfocused in class. You've always had a drive to do well in your studies. Are you losing that determination?" McGonagall said sternly.

"Professor, I assure you, I'm--" Hermione protested.

"Silence," she held up her hand, and Hermione stopped talking. "And I assure you, Miss Granger, I know what I saw. I've never seen you so distracted. I regret doing this, but I'm afraid I'm going to have to give you detention. Please catch up on what you missed during class today."

Hermione bent her head, defeated. "Yes, Professor." She grabbed her books and dragged her feet out of the classroom. Detention again? I'm turning into one of those people, she thought in despair.

Throughout the day, Hermione caught herself thinking about Draco, and vowed to herself not to think about him for the rest of the day. Until detention. But, she knew, with a sinking heart, there was no point to thinking about Draco. He couldn't possibly have feelings for her. She was still a muggleborn.

When night had finally come, Hermione got up and grabbed her Transfiguration books, sighing. She couldn't believe she had to go to detention again.

She was escorted by Filch to the same empty classroom as before, and with a "Nighty night," from the old caretaker, she was left alone. She sat down and started to read.

When Hermione was about halfway through the lesson, she heard noise outside the door. It sounded like someone arguing. She paused, her hand hovering above the page, and tuned in.

"Get off me, you filthy Squib--"

"Do you know who I am--"

Hermione giggled. It was Draco. It had to be. No one had the same husky voice as he did. Another night with a Malfoy, she thought.

The door was shoved open, and Draco stumbled in, his school shirt untucked, and the sleeves rolled up. His hair was tousled, his natural curls making Hermione blush. When he saw her, the fire in his eyes disappeared.

"Hey, Granger," he said quietly.

Hermione gave him a small smile before turning back to her books. I have to finish this, or Mcgonagall will kill me.

"How'd you get in detention again?" Draco was standing over her shoulder, and she had to hide her face with her hair to hide her smile.

"Wasn't paying attention in class," she whispered, just barely audible. But Draco was so close now that he didn't have a problem hearing. Turning to face him, Hermione smirked playfully. "Bathroom again, Malfoy?"

His grin vanished for a second. He had a faraway look in his eyes. "Yeah, something like that,"

Hermione looked back at her book for a second time, and she said apologetically, "I've really got to finish this, though. I don't want to, but McGonagall will kill me if I don't."

Draco nodded, and walked back to a corner of the room. "I'll leave you to it, then, Granger."

She focused back in on the words on the page, but she could barely see them. The only thing on her mind was Draco, the look in his eyes when she had teased him. What was going on with him? What happened to the confident, arrogant Draco Malfoy she had known her whole life?

Shaking her head slightly, Hermione read through the lesson and was almost done when the book closed. It wasn't her hand that did it. It was Draco's, his long slender fingers on the cover.

"Why do you have to do it now?" he pouted mockingly.

Hermione turned to face him. "Because I actually want to be something when I grow up," she said, and laughed at the funny look Draco had on his face.

He didn't give up, though. He took the book, and, setting it atop the highest shelf, made it so she couldn't reach it. She was shorter than he was, and the shelf was much taller than Draco.

"Draco," she complained.

"What? You don't like my company?" He said, putting his hands on his hips, smirking and raising an eyebrow.

Hermione struggled for words. "No, I didn't say that--it's just--"

Draco took a step closer to her. "So you like my company? It's not that hard to say, you know," His hands dropped from his sides.

"Well...I mean, I guess," she said sheepishly, looking at the floor.

Draco brought his hand to her chin and brought her brown eyes to meet his grey ones. Hermione tingled by his touch. She leaned in slowly, and gently put her lips to his, and he kissed her back. It was light and soft, but when she pulled away, his eyes were full of shock. Hermione's heart sank. Whatever he was planning to do, which probably wasn't anything, didn't include that.

Hermione swore. "I'm so sorry. I didn't mean to do that. I don't know what came over me. You're going to hate me, now. What have I done? I'm an idiot!"

She was expecting him to walk out of the room, leaving her to her thoughts, but he surprised her, and didn't move except to sit on the floor, gesturing for her to follow him. She did, wondering what he would do now.

He surprised her again by grabbing her hand and lacing his fingers through hers, and looking into her eyes, he kissed her. He kissed her. And this time it was less hesitant, more confident, more sweet. Hermione loved it. Her other hand reached for his, and they sat there, holding each other, sharing this wonderful moment.

When they broke the kiss, Hermione's cheeks were flushed and she giggled. "I've never kissed a boy before," she admitted.

Draco looked at her, dumbstruck. "Really? That was a good first kiss, then," she giggled again.

He squeezed her hands and he pressed his lips to her forehead. "It's dark out. You should probably get some sleep,"

Hermione nodded, and leaned her head on his shoulder, just like the night before, except their hands were touching, and it wasn't awkward. She felt right here.

Draco kept her hands in his as she fell asleep. She was just about to fully fall into a dream when she heard him say, "Good night, Hermione."

She lifted her head for a second to kiss his cheek. "Good night, Draco," she said, and rested her head on his shoulder again, closing her eyes. The image of his smile stayed in her mind until she fell asleep for the night.