2. Lingering Memories

Draco's POV

Draco leaned against the white marble sink. His face was dripping with water, and his school robes, shirt, and tie had been thrown on the floor hastily. Looking into the mirror, he saw the temendous fear in his eyes, which scared him even more. In all his life, he'd never looked this terrified. He'd been taught to conceal his feelings; to mask them.

Hands shaking, Draco splashed his face with more water, but that didn't erase the memory of the courtyard, when he was called to join the Dark Lord. He'd done it willingly, which made him flush with anger. All those people had watched him do it, too. Even Potter, who was supposed to be dead.

Drying his face and pulling on his clothes, Draco tried to make it look like nothing had ever happened; like it was just a typical day for him, a Slytherin that was just passing in the corridors of the schools. It didn't convince him enough, but he set his mouth in a thin line and swung the door open, looking both ways before heading in the direction of the Great Hall. It was time for dinner, and Draco was starving.

He passed the spot where he'd run into Granger that morning, and he shuddered. Of course, he wasn't paying any attention to her then, but that was because he had just remembered the courtyard. Filthy mudblood, he thought as he strutted into the Great Hall for the meal. He saw Granger there, and caught her eye for a second before he looked away. He didn't have time for a Gryffindor, much less a muggleborn.

He sat with Crabbe, who was still not talking to him. He didn't know why, but he liked to think that it was because of something simple, something stupid. Like he forgot to get him a present for Christmas. Of course, Draco knew that wasn't it, but it kept a little bit of stress off his shoulders. He was carrying too much at the moment.

He kept to himself the whole time, but he swore he could feel her gaze burning through his head. He ignored it, though it was tempting to look back, and meet her eyes, searching for an answer to why she kept staring at him. He knew he was attractive, the girls from Slytherin hung on him all the time, though nobody caught his attention. But Granger? Never, never in a million years would she fall for me, he thought smugly. She's been getting googly eyes from that Weasley for months now.

As if it was planned, the youngest male Weasley looked at Granger with a look of love and admiration. She ignored it, though, and kept her eyes on her food, now that she'd noticed that Draco was looking.

"So, uh, Crabbe..." Draco started off, trying to get his mind off the current matter.

The only thing Crabbe did in response was turn his back and strike up a conversation with the Slytherin 7th year next to him. Dirty old git, Draco sneered.

When dinner was over, Draco had retreated to the Slytherin common room and was laid out on the plush couch when he was taken back to the Astronomy Tower, Dumbledore laying lifeless on the ground far below. Potter was crouched next to him, his shoulders shaking, and the Weasley girl was there, comforting him.

Draco had felt disgusted then, hopeless and miserable. He was the one that had to kill Dumbledore, but Snape had to nose his way in, like always, and be the loyal servant of the Dark Lord.

Sighing and restless, Draco left the common room and trudged down the corridor, ignoring the greetings from the other Slytherins there. They all gave him dejected looks, but he didn't care. He wasn't in the mingling mood.

He was right where he had been not 2 hours before. In the bathroom, his chest bare and the fear in his eyes the same. The stormy grey color made him think of his father, who had been locked up in Azkaban after the war.

Breathing heavily, Draco stumbled to a corner of the bathroom and sat down, his knees pressed to his chest. He couldn't do it; couldn't think back to the days before the Dark Lord was killed. He was different then, evil. Now he was changed, but only slightly. If it was a good thing or not, he didn't know.

He heard a noise outside the door of the bathroom, and he froze. No one can see me like this, Draco thought in a panic. Grabbing his clothes off the tile floor, he slid his shirt over his head and tucked his robes in the crook of his arm. He had no time to clear his face of any sign of his time of vulnerability, so he ducked his head and headed out the door in a hurry, not making eye contact with anyone.

He was walking through the corridor when he saw Filch stalking the halls with his wretched cat, Mrs. Norris. He wasn't in the mood to hide, so he let himself get caught. He saw another person getting dragged with him.

"Oh, dear, we are in trouble," Filch mocked Draco in his nasty, raspy voice.

But Draco wasn't having any of it. "Still tormenting kids, aren't you, you filthy Squib?" He sneered at him. He was shocked to see Granger with the caretaker. Granger, caught by Filch? Never, he countered.

Her face was red, and her hair was tangled and messy, fallen in front of her face. Draco willingly went with them to an empty classroom where he was left with Granger to sit out his punishment. He sat in the opposite corner as he did, and minded his own business.

"What were..." Granger paused as she asked Draco a question. "What were you doing?"

Draco looked at her in surprise. "I was just going to the bathroom." He smirked when she blushed. "What were you doing?"

"I--I was in the library. In the restricted section." She ducked her head and looked at her feet, avoiding Draco's eyes.

She shivered; the room was cold, and Draco, after a few moments, moved himself until he was sitting right next to Granger. Hermione, he thought.

Hermione looked at him in surprise, but kept to herself, forcing Draco to make the first move. He wrapped his arms around her, first hesitantly, but then confidently. Her small frame felt so fragile beneath his arms.

Soon, she laid her head on his shoulder, and Draco flinched, afraid of what this would lead to. He didn't need to worry, though; she just stayed there, in his arms, keeping warm, until light shone through the windows and the halls outside filled with the sound of stomping feet of the students.

Her body stayed close to Draco, and he realized that she had fallen asleep, unlike himself. She looked so peaceful, he couldn't bear to shake her awake. He gently took his arm away, and she opened her eyes, which were full of drowsiness and confusion. "Wha--" She sat up when she saw his face staring back at her, his body so close to hers.

"You fell asleep. You were cold." Draco hastily explained.

She stood up. "I...I'll see you later, Draco."

Draco nodded, and Hermione left, leaving him to his thoughts. What had just happened could never happen again. But the way she had sat there, the way his name rolled off her lips, made Draco only want more.