3. Meeting in Hogsmeade

Hermione's POV

Draco's stormy grey eyes were locked into Hermione's mind as she waltzed to the common room. She was in some sort of trance, but she didn't care. He had wrapped his arms around her, which made her feel safe and protected in his strong grasp. Her feelings for him scared her, but excited her at the same time. Maybe she would see him again. Soon, she hoped.

Hermione's thoughts of Draco were interrupted when the Fat Lady asked in her booming voice, "Password?"

She delightfully replied with the password, and the portrait opened, granting her passage to the common room. She plopped onto the couch, refreshed and comfy. Not as comfy as when he was holding me, she thought, smugly, now that she had a secret from her friends. Well, not Ginny, Hermione reminded herself.

"Hermione, where were you last night?" She heard Ginny's voice come from the portrait hole.

She looked up and grinned. "I've got a lot to tell you."

"Okay, let's bring this to the dormitory," Ginny gestured to the stairs, and they both ran up them, eager to jump into conversation about Hermione's previous night.

"What happened? Why didn't you come in last night?"

"I was...caught. By Filch. I was in the restricted section in the library, just looking at books, but I dropped a book and he saw me. When he was bringing me to an empty classroom, we ran into...um..." Hermione started out strong but fizzled out when it came to the part about Draco.

"Who was it, Hermione?" Then, with a gasp, Ginny guessed, "Was it Malfoy?"

Hermione nodded sheepishly.

"What did you do?"

"Well, there wasn't much I could do, considering the fact that Filch was about to tear my ear off. He grabbed him too and we spent the night in an unused classroom. Together."

"What happened?" Ginny pressed Hermione, intrigued. "What did he do?"

"I mean...it was cold in the room, so..." Hermione struggled to continue, but she did anyway. "He kind of cuddled me. It was cute, the way he stayed there with me the whole night. I fell asleep on his shoulder." She blushed at the memory.

Ginny was ecstatic. "Hermione! You just spent the night with Draco Malfoy!"

Hermione giggled. "Yeah, I did. But I think that's the only time it'll happen. I mean, he's a Malfoy, Ginny. I'm a muggleborn. I mean, as far as I know, or any of us knows, he'd still hex me if I said one word that he didn't like."

Ginny's eyes softened. "But maybe he's changed. Like I told you before, you should give him a chance to start over on his life after the war. Maybe he needs someone in it to do that."

Hermione nodded solemnly and got up. "Okay. But I have to think. There's a Hogsmeade trip this afternoon. Want to go?"

Ginny smiled. "I'd love to."

Hermione, Ginny, and the others were all in the Three Broomsticks when Hermione stood up. "I'm going for a walk. I need to think about my studies." She lied.

Ginny started to get up herself, but she shook her head. She didn't need anyone with her. When her friends nodded, she walked out the door and onto the street.

Her chin was tucked to her chest, and she couldn't see that well in front of her. When she bumped into Draco, she lost her balance and almost fell, if it wasn't for Draco's hands helping her up. His blond hair was its usual slicked back look, and he wore his school robes confidently.

"Sorry, Draco. Um, Malfoy," Hermione stuttered.

Draco, looking both ways, pulled her into an alley between two shops. It was dark and grimy, despite the cleanliness of the rest of Hogsmeade. There was a look in Draco's eyes, like fear, or concern. Hermione was confused. What did he want with her?

"Um..." Draco stumbled for words. "About last night, Granger..."

Hermione blushed. "What about it?"

"Sorry for what I did. I don't know if it made you uncomfortable or something. I shouldn't have done it, I know. I was stupid."

Hermione looked into Draco's brilliant grey eyes and smiled. "It wasn't uncomfortable. I was actually very warm because of it. It was nice."

The relief in Draco's eyes was clear. "Good. I mean, um, sorry. I'm still sorry."

She grinned, amused. "There's nothing to be sorry for,"

Draco turned back around, facing the street. "Well, er, I'll see you later, Granger."

"See you," she replied dreamily. She watched him go until he was no longer visible.

Walking back to the Three Broomsticks, Hermione chuckled inwardly. He said sorry. Maybe Ginny's right. Maybe he has changed after all.

Before meeting her friends again, she wiped the foolish grin off her face. No one could know about what just happened. Not even Ginny. She would have to wait.

The rest of the day, Hermione kept thinking back to Draco's eyes in the alley, full of fear. Never in her life had she seen him worried, or scared. What did that mean for her? Was he letting her in? If not all the way, then some of the way? She was so confused that she pushed him to the back of her mind, deciding to ignore that matter for awhile.

When they got back to Hogwarts, and Hermione was in bed, she thought again about Draco. What was he doing right now? Thinking about her? "Boys are so confusing," she grumbled, closing her eyes.

She dreamed of Draco the whole night.