Ch 44: Monster \\ The Final Confrontation

Start from the beginning

America's expression forcibly hardened and he clenched his fists, growling. Luckily, this time, his voice managed to escape its cage, rumbling out into the world- er, mindscape? "Oh, that you're a little bitch? I think I've heard that one already, yeah."

But despite the fearless tone America tried to impersonate, his voice shook- it trembled... and America couldn't stop it from doing so.

Confederate gave America a wry look, taking a bold step forward, "Well, for your sake, I guess I'll just tell you anyway." He tilted his head to the side, "I'm... you. I'm your worst nightmares, forever a part of you." Confederate's grin became almost smug in nature, "Forever... in more control than you... I mean, whoever said dreams can't be in control? You see... I'm gonna tell you a little secret..." His voice lowered to a whisper, his very expression taunting America, "I have more control over your mind than you could ever know."

His lips suddenly twisted unnaturally upwards, and he lunged forward. America yelped, stumbling backwards and bringing his arms up to block any sort of blow. Shit, shit, shit!

"Take that, you bastard!"

...

Wait a second... that wasn't Confederate's voice, or his own... No, that was... America lowered his arms in surprise.

Puerto Rico.

He was standing there, his chest heaving as if he had just run a marathon or something. A few paces to the left of Puerto Rico, Confederate stood, his eyes blazing with rage. It was obvious he hadn't been expecting the interruption, and he was not happy.

But Puerto Rico seemed unaffected by Confederate's rage and America's shock, simply turning around toward America, pointing at him and saying determinedly, "I am not doing this cause I consider you family or anything like that, I just hate Confederate more. Remember that."

America blinked at Rico for a few seconds before, surprisingly, a small, nervous laugh escaped his lips. Actually, no... it wasn't nervous it was... relieved. Relieved that someone was there to help and, admittedly, disbelieving of Puerto Rico's lie.

Puerto Rico stared determinedly at America for a few moments before scoffing slightly and looking away. As he did this, he pointed behind him with his thumb, murmuring, "Oh, yeah, the others are here, too."

America blinked, looking to where Puerto Rico was pointing. There, all the various states and territories stood, most of them looking like they were about ready to kick ass. America felt a smile tweak the edges of his lips up, and he spoke out of relief and shock, "You guys..."

Sure... he was their dad. He should be the one protecting them.

But... in that moment he was so relieved that he didn't think of that.

He was just... so glad he wasn't facing this horror alone.

No, he will never face this alone.

He had his family, his friends, Russia... So many people were on his side. So many people were waiting for him to shove Confederate's face into the mud! America turned towards the fuming Confederate, confidence and determination festering and brewing in his heart. He could do this. He wasn't alone. They could do this. Together, they could squash Confederate like the little bug he is.

And America was ready.

...

A laugh.

Did you know that a laugh can be terrifying?

A laugh... maybe a single laugh has to force to take down a whole army. A whole crowd.

Confederate had laughed. He looked them all in eyes... and he laughed. He laughed like a king on a throne looking down at a bunch of revolting peasants. He laughed like there was an army behind him and crowd to massacre.