Ch 30 Pt 2: A Story from Me to You

February 1899

"So... how does this work?"

America turned to me, his eyes flickering between me and Guam, who was on my left. Though I'm sure Guam has gone through his own list of atrocities and pain, he didn't seem to be as eager to escape it as I was. As far as I could tell, Guam didn't trust America at all.

Either way, we were his now, and we both understood that. We would do as he says- we were trained well to never defy orders, after all. Though, not everyone was as conditioned by Spain as us, apparently. Cuba wasn't here, nor was Philippines. Word on the street was that Philippines was trying to fight for his independence against America. On one hand, I mentally scoffed at the idea. America seemed to be a great guy, why not stick around and see where this goes? But, then I remember all the pain we all went through under my bastard of a father and I find myself understanding Philippines on a level America would probably never achieve.

"Well," America started, trying to find the best words to explain it, "Essentially, we merge and you become a part of me. After we merge, you become and dwell in a part of my mind."

Guam's eyes narrowed, "What happens to our physical bodies?"

America shrugged, "They don't exactly disappear, but they don't really exist either... if that makes any sense."

"So, you don't know what happens to them?" Guam asked, an edge to his voice I didn't expect to come from him.

America frowned and said, "It's not like your bodies disappear- if we unmerge, your physical bodies appear again," America looked away, "Though- if I'm being honest- this knowledge is very new to me."

Guam was about to say something else when I interrupted him, ignoring the sour glare directed at me, "So, how do we merge anyway?"

America smiled, obviously relieved for the subject change, "The way I do it is quite simple actually- There are three steps: A physical document, a desire to merge, and we need to touch each other physically. We already have the document, so we're good to go whenever."

A smile formed on my face. I was about to do just that when Guam took hold of my arm, stopping me with a distrustful look on his face. He whispered, "You actually trust him?"

My brows furrowed, "Why shouldn't I?"

An angry look appeared on his face, "What about everything we've been through? How will we know he won't do the same things that he did?"

I felt sadness tug at my heart, "I don't know. But... how will we know if I don't try?" Guam was silent, and I continued, turning to him with a smile, "How about we make a promise?"

Guam looked confused, as he questioningly repeated, "A promise?"

I nodded, "From one ex-Spanish territory to another, I promise that if America ends up just like Spain, we'll fight for our independence," I smiled warmly, "together, as brothers."

Guam still looked unsure, but eventually sighed and nodded in hesitant agreement. With that affirmation, I turned back to America and held out my right hand for him to take, Guam taking my left hand. America smiled and took my hand in his own, whispering, "Thank you."

With those two words, the world around me started sparkling and wavering as if little pieces of stars were sprinkling themselves down onto the world below. The only thing that didn't waver was Guam. A little bit too quickly for my liking, the world started sparkling away. The minute before the world disappeared, I felt consciousness slip from my grasp, and I was knocked out.

...

I opened my eyes with a groan. The sun was too bright...

Wait, the sun?